Reseting sata drives back to ahci

Chrisn3108

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2014
So following on from this thread:
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2093352/system-fisrt-boot.html

I realized XP was 32 bit and decided to ditch it anyway. I then bought a new copy of 8.1 SL.
I booted up in IDE mode and windows only picks up the SSD and a 3rd 120G old Seagate that I transferred from my retired desktop. It did not pick up the 1TB WD Black.

So I went into the bios and set the Sata mode to AHCI. but the system goes in perpetual boot mode after giving some error message which is too fast to read.

Please help

Solution
You need to boot in ide and change this in registry:
1) Run the Registry Editor (regedit.exe)
2) Navigate to Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
3) Set the "Start" value to 0 (zero)
4) Navigate to Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pciide
5) Set the "Start" value to 0 (zero)
6) Shut down
7) Start up again, but before Windows boots go into the BIOS configuration screens and change the disk mode to "AHCI". Save the new BIOS configuration and restart so that Windows boots.

aatje92

Honorable
You need to boot in ide and change this in registry:
1) Run the Registry Editor (regedit.exe)
2) Navigate to Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
3) Set the "Start" value to 0 (zero)
4) Navigate to Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pciide
5) Set the "Start" value to 0 (zero)
6) Shut down
7) Start up again, but before Windows boots go into the BIOS configuration screens and change the disk mode to "AHCI". Save the new BIOS configuration and restart so that Windows boots.

Solution
With only the SSD SATA lead connected, and AHCI mode selected, you should be able to install to Unallocated Space, i.e. remove all partitions using Drive Options (Advanced). Windows install prefers this so that correct creation of the 350 Mb System Reserved Partition can be achieved. You can re-connect your other drives once Windows is installed without having to turn off your machine and do as you will with them.