Resetting monitor refresh rate in Windows 3.1

Nigel

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2002

Can anyone help with this? I had to purchase a
replacement monitor for my ancient Windows 3.1 system. It
flickers badly with the current refresh rate of 877Hz.
How do I change the refresh rate in the PC?

If there's a more appropriate newsgroup to post this
question to, I'd appreciate the suggestion.

IIRC, run sysedit and add or edit the following lines in the system.ini
file:

[Display]
refresh=n

where n is 43, 48, 56, 60, 72, 75, or 85. Rare VGAs and monitors supported
more than 72Hz though...

Shutdown Windows 3.1 and run SETUP from the Command Prompt.
Select the VGA driver and restart Windows.

IIRC more, OEM video bundle included the enhanced drivers and setup utility
to change resolution, refresh rate, and color depth. If you switch to (S)VGA
generic driver you should get 640x480 60Hz 16 colors display.