Resetting my Windows 10 Laptop?

FrozenToothpaste

Reputable
May 19, 2015
Hi! I would like to reset my laptop back to its original state. There are just too many things I do not need in this laptop. Its possible it even has a virus. I'm not interested in cleaning only the viruses because I want to remove everything. I dont have anything I need to keep/backup. Is there anything I need to be cautious with? I can open settings > recovery > reset but I'm afraid of the risks, if there is any such as getting bricked? There is also this strange D: drive named "Recovery" but I dont even have any idea what that is. I opened it and its empty even though it says 1.69 GB free of 14GB. I was told that whatever you do, just dont touch or remove this D: recovery drive. I'm worried that fully resetting my laptop would also remove this D: drive? Can anyone help me? Thanks.

My laptop specs if anyone is wondering:
HP
AMD A10-9600P RADEON R5, 10 COMPUTE CORES 4C+6G 2.40 GHz
8.00GB RAM
64Bit Operating System, x64 Based processor

Solution
there is no way resetting your PC will damage any hardware whatsoever. that drive is the recovery partition that is found on every bran name laptop and desktop. the reset option in windows 10 is most likely linked to your laptop manufacturers recovery option so it will restore your laptop to factory defaults and delete all your data

there usually is a recovery option you can enter when you startup your pc by pressing a certain key on your keyboard but this key can be different depending on what manufacturer it is

t53186

Distinguished
The D drive "recovery" contains a windows 10 image to be used when you do a reset. It will not be removed when performing a reset. It would be wise to backup/copy all of the data you cannot lose (music, pictures, documents) just in case something does go wrong, which is not very likely.

there is no way resetting your PC will damage any hardware whatsoever. that drive is the recovery partition that is found on every bran name laptop and desktop. the reset option in windows 10 is most likely linked to your laptop manufacturers recovery option so it will restore your laptop to factory defaults and delete all your data

there usually is a recovery option you can enter when you startup your pc by pressing a certain key on your keyboard but this key can be different depending on what manufacturer it is

Solution