Resetting Radeon9200 videocard or driver?

Hello,

Problem:
When I turn on my computer, I see the BIOS and I see Windows XP
start-up logo (with the little Night-Rider-like bar below the logo
going left-right), but then the screen goes blank.

I am trying to figure out how to reset the video card or the driver,
to a frequency/resolution mode that my monitor can handle.

The blank screen happens with all monitors I have in the house (4).
The monitor itself works - I tried it with other computers.

The monitor menu works, and reports the resolution that it, apparently
does not support (640 x 480 at 31.6kHz horizontal and 60Hz vertical
frequency).

I've got a Radeon 9200 (ATI-RV-280) card, integrated on the
motherboard (Sapphire, MBSAPP-9100A39).

Is there a way to reset the video card in the computer to a
resolution/frequency that my monitor can support?
Is there a way to reset the driver?

I tried booting in Safe mode and in VGA Enabled mode. Booting in Safe
mode causes my computer to restart automatically. Booting in VGA
Enabled mode results in the same blank screen.

Any help would be VERY VERY VERY much appreciated!

Thank you!

JohnS

> Is there a way to reset the video card in the computer to a
> resolution/frequency that my monitor can support?
> Is there a way to reset the driver?
>
> I tried booting in Safe mode and in VGA Enabled mode. Booting in Safe
> mode causes my computer to restart automatically. Booting in VGA
> Enabled mode results in the same blank screen.

That is weird. All monitors should support standard VGA
mode 640 x 480 ??? What kind of monitor is this? Only
thing I've seen that comes close is the new LCD IBM
monitors that simply will not start on older computers.
They must have a weird resolution that is not supported
in older BIOSes. FEDS are having a fit with the new
IBM stuff ... and the new DELL stuff, because of that.
Employees like the new flat monitors, but don't want,
or have time, to migrate from their old boxes. Right
now, it is a monitor circus in the Federal Gov. If that
is your problem ... there is no fix that I have seen.

johns

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

See about grabbing another card and put it in , remove the 9200. Windows
should disable the 9200 drivers allowing the other card to initiate. Then
delete the 9200 associated drivers.

"OtisUsenet" <otis_usenet@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Problem:
> When I turn on my computer, I see the BIOS and I see Windows XP
> start-up logo (with the little Night-Rider-like bar below the logo
> going left-right), but then the screen goes blank.
>
> I am trying to figure out how to reset the video card or the driver,
> to a frequency/resolution mode that my monitor can handle.
>
> The blank screen happens with all monitors I have in the house (4).
> The monitor itself works - I tried it with other computers.
>
> The monitor menu works, and reports the resolution that it, apparently
> does not support (640 x 480 at 31.6kHz horizontal and 60Hz vertical
> frequency).
>
> I've got a Radeon 9200 (ATI-RV-280) card, integrated on the
> motherboard (Sapphire, MBSAPP-9100A39).
>

> Is there a way to reset the video card in the computer to a
> resolution/frequency that my monitor can support?
> Is there a way to reset the driver?
>
> I tried booting in Safe mode and in VGA Enabled mode. Booting in Safe
> mode causes my computer to restart automatically. Booting in VGA
> Enabled mode results in the same blank screen.
>
> Any help would be VERY VERY VERY much appreciated!
>
> Thank you!

This is happening with a Samsung SyncMaster 172v.
Nobody set the resolution/frequency to 640 x 480 at 31.6kHz horizontal
and 60Hz vertical frequency which I see using the 'on-screen display
menu system', yet the video card is set to that resolution/frequency.

The monitor _can_ handle that resolution, but _cannot_ handle that
particular frequency. Yet, nobody set that frequency, so I don't know
why the video card is using that frequency.

I wish I could reset the video card from the BIOS or some other way...

Thanks.

"Steve" <caddi.dad@sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:<u8Jmc.44815$3Q4.1120534@news20.bellglobal.com>...
> See about grabbing another card and put it in , remove the 9200. Windows
> should disable the 9200 drivers allowing the other card to initiate. Then
> delete the 9200 associated drivers.

Oh, I'd love to do that, and was actually thinking the same thing...
until I realized that this is an on-board video card (i.e. built into
the mother board), which means I can't just take it out, I believe.
Perhaps there is a way to take it out, and I just don't know how to do
it?

Thanks!

On 11 May 2004 04:55:21 -0700, otis_usenet@yahoo.com (OtisUsenet)
wrote:

>"Steve" <caddi.dad@sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:<u8Jmc.44815$3Q4.1120534@news20.bellglobal.com>...
>> See about grabbing another card and put it in , remove the 9200. Windows
>> should disable the 9200 drivers allowing the other card to initiate. Then
>> delete the 9200 associated drivers.
>
>Oh, I'd love to do that, and was actually thinking the same thing...
>until I realized that this is an on-board video card (i.e. built into
>the mother board), which means I can't just take it out, I believe.
>Perhaps there is a way to take it out, and I just don't know how to do
>it?
>
>Thanks!

Otis, if you have a slot available you can put another card in, you
should be able to disable the onboard chip in BIOS so that you can use
another card. It would be best to uninstall the drivers for your
onboard chip before doing this, in case they interfere with the
installation of your new card.

>> "OtisUsenet" <otis_usenet@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > Problem:
>> > When I turn on my computer, I see the BIOS and I see Windows XP
>> > start-up logo (with the little Night-Rider-like bar below the logo
>> > going left-right), but then the screen goes blank.
>> >
>> > I am trying to figure out how to reset the video card or the driver,
>> > to a frequency/resolution mode that my monitor can handle.
>> >
>> > The blank screen happens with all monitors I have in the house (4).
>> > The monitor itself works - I tried it with other computers.
>> >
>> > The monitor menu works, and reports the resolution that it, apparently
>> > does not support (640 x 480 at 31.6kHz horizontal and 60Hz vertical
>> > frequency).
>> >
>> > I've got a Radeon 9200 (ATI-RV-280) card, integrated on the
>> > motherboard (Sapphire, MBSAPP-9100A39).
>> >

>> > Is there a way to reset the video card in the computer to a
>> > resolution/frequency that my monitor can support?
>> > Is there a way to reset the driver?
>> >
>> > I tried booting in Safe mode and in VGA Enabled mode. Booting in Safe
>> > mode causes my computer to restart automatically. Booting in VGA
>> > Enabled mode results in the same blank screen.
>> >
>> > Any help would be VERY VERY VERY much appreciated!
>> >
>> > Thank you!

patrickp

TRENDING THREADS