Resetting Win10 Laptop to Factory. ..can updates be saved to USB ?

kiotii

Reputable
Oct 22, 2015
Resetting laptop to Factory state.Can all installed updates be saved to USB drive and then be added back to computer after the Reset is completed?
Am planning using option to remove all but if I use the 'Save files' option will that save the updates?
Thanks
Kiotii

I believe that doing a factory reset removes the sign in password that is usually an email account. The computer is not stolen. The prblem is that both laptops have the same sign in pword.
Perhaps deleting her account in UAC would help.?

This is for a friend of mine and here is the problem she is having

"This is SOOOOO WEIRD AND FREAKY! I started working on restoring an older laptop computer last night of mine for my brother. Both of my laptops has Windows 10 and both has to be logged into from the same email account. Anyway I had NO IDEA that this would happen but now they are both linked together??? What the heck?!?!?!?
I am TRIPPING OUT! I can't even have a different wallpaper on the front screen of each PC?!?!?!?!? Not that I am complaining but I never knew that could happen?
You turn on either one and change the wallpaper it switches the wallpaper on the other?!?!?!?!?
Man talk about STRANGE!!!!!!!"

Solution

No.
Windows updates become part of the OS. You can't extract and save them.

Reset it back to actual factory, and you have to redo all the updates again.

USAFRet

Titan

No.
Windows updates become part of the OS. You can't extract and save them.

Reset it back to actual factory, and you have to redo all the updates again.

Solution

kiotii

Reputable
Oct 22, 2015
USAFRet..thanks. I recall having read somewhere that there is a way to do it... however, there are registry entries for updates and saving them requires a Reg Ripper.
Any idea what she could do to unlink the two computers? Obviously because they both have same sign in email as password (New MS Security at work)..apart from doing a Factory Reset to get shot of the sign in and losing all updates/Programs etc.how can she remove the sign in and create a new one on that older laptop?
Thanks

USAFRet

Titan

Some files are replaced, many reg entries are changed.
I can't image it being easier than just redoing all the updates.

kiotii

Reputable
Oct 22, 2015

Yes that be the easier way ...unfortunately it can take Days. Guess she just have to do what a woman's got to do
Thanks

TRENDING THREADS