[SOLVED] Resident Evil 2 Remake bad screen tearing Claire B

aafusc2988

Honorable
Jan 8, 2015
So I played this game back in February when it came out and beat Leon's normal run in about 9.6 hours per my Steam profile time logged. Didn't notice any issues.. now I am playing Claire B as my second run and am noticing bad screen tearing. No settings have changed...

i5-9600K 3.7Ghz (4.6 turbo)
EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 XC Black Edition 8GB GDDR6 Samsung VRAM
be quiet! Shadow Rock TF2 cooler
Corsair CX650M 80+ Bronze certified 650W PSU
Aegis G-Skill 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz
Acer S241HLbmid Black 24" 60Hz (1920 x 1080p)
Windows 10 x64 Home OEM
Game installed on SSD

I have changed the refresh rate from 60Hz to 59.94 Hz and frames are capped at 60 FPS. The rendering rate is at 150% though - but like I said everything was the same for Leon's first run. I had refresh rate at 60Hz then. Thought changing it to just below 60 would fix it... and Vsync is ON. I have a hard time believing with my rig the game ever goes below 60 FPS.. so why am I seeing tearing at all with Vsync on and the game capped to 60 FPS?

Last edited:
Solution
I'm an idiot. For some reason Vsync was set to 'Off' in the Nvidia Control Panel.. I must've done that for another game awhile back for some strange reason. Changed it to 'Use 3D Application Setting' and RE2 is running perfect again. Glad I can now get back to enjoying it. Claire B is so much more fun than Leon A Normal run albeit a lot more difficult! Guess that is what makes it fun... she gets so many more weapons than Leon that I actually have to store some in the box for inventory space.

aafusc2988

Honorable
Jan 8, 2015
My hardware is well capable of playing games at 60 FPS capped - specs in signature are accurate and I do not want to type them out again. PC was just built in January 2019. I know my rig is WELL capable of running RE2 remake at 60 FPS or higher but I have a 60Hz monitor at 1920 x 1080p. In the game's settings I have refresh rate capped to 60Hz, FPS capped at 60, and Vsync ON. I have Vsync set to "use 3d application setting" within the Nvidia control panel. I know RE2 isn't dipping below 60 FPS, so why I am getting screen tearing with everything capped at my monitor's ability?

Games I don't have screen tearing - Overwatch on Ultra settings, Apex Legends, Anthem, Battlefield V, and many more... With the Overwatch in-game FPS counter I am capable of getting 160-200 FPS across the craziest of fights. Don't have issues with tearing despite it going WELL above my monitor's capability. Far Cry 5 doesn't have tearing though it does have random stutter/quick pauses that are kind of annoying. So what is going on in games like RE2 remake and Rainbow Six Siege which my computer should crush, despite the fact I have Vsync on and the proper settings in place?

And yes for Overwatch I know that seeing 160-200 FPS in the in-game FPS counter doesn't mean that's ACTUALLY what I am getting since my monitor is limiting it. If I had a way better monitor I would be. But it's well above 60 FPS and I don't get tearing in OW... so if RE2 is well above 60 FPS or at least staying above 60 FPS then to me I shouldn't be getting tearing in that, or in Rainbow Six Siege for that matter with Vsync enabled in both games and Nvidia control panel set to use 3D application setting.

Last edited:

aafusc2988

Honorable
Jan 8, 2015
I'm an idiot. For some reason Vsync was set to 'Off' in the Nvidia Control Panel.. I must've done that for another game awhile back for some strange reason. Changed it to 'Use 3D Application Setting' and RE2 is running perfect again. Glad I can now get back to enjoying it. Claire B is so much more fun than Leon A Normal run albeit a lot more difficult! Guess that is what makes it fun... she gets so many more weapons than Leon that I actually have to store some in the box for inventory space.

Solution