[SOLVED] Resistor fell off r9 290x because I overtightened cooler, I need resistor model to get replacement.

Sep 16, 2021
Hello! I am posting because I need a replacement resistor for my r9 290x, but I don't know the resistor model. So the reason the resistor fell off is because, I have my card on water, and my cooler is the NZXT Kraken g10. I was going to repaste it so I took the cooler off, and put the new paste on, but I was distracted and waaaay over tightened it, so when i loosened it, the resistor fell off.

Here is the missing resistor, can someone help me figure out what a replacement would be and where to get one?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Zwf4CRR2eWvBFoaEA

Edit: It does turn on and install drivers, but crashes under any load, if that is of any importance.

Last edited:
Solution
Since there is a whole column of MLCCs going straight down the middle of the picture and spacing for the pads you circled appears to be the same as the capacitors above it, looks to me like what you are missing is a capacitor the same size and value as the other ones above it, maybe one body size smaller looking at the capacitor at the other end of the column.

The value is probably in the 1-10uF range at 10-16V using X5R or X7R ceramic (typical for supply bypass) in 0603 or 0805 form factor.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

You will need the necessary motherboard schematics to specifically identify the fallen resistor and its' specs.

Unfortunately you may be out of luck there. If you get a replacement resistor do you have the tools and skills to install a new resistor?

Or know someone who does and can do the required soldering? Replacement of the resistor will require very deliberate,delicate, and careful work.

And you cannot be sure that the "missing" resistor is the only issue. Other things may have gone wrong and may not appear until subsequent reboots.

No harm in trying but be willing to write off any additional costs and losses.

Sep 16, 2021
I have the MSI r9 290x, model MS-v308. And i have a soldering iron, i just need to practice a bit before i use it on a graphics card, And i do have other dead graphics cards i can try soldering on.

InvalidError

Titan
Since there is a whole column of MLCCs going straight down the middle of the picture and spacing for the pads you circled appears to be the same as the capacitors above it, looks to me like what you are missing is a capacitor the same size and value as the other ones above it, maybe one body size smaller looking at the capacitor at the other end of the column.

The value is probably in the 1-10uF range at 10-16V using X5R or X7R ceramic (typical for supply bypass) in 0603 or 0805 form factor.

Solution