resizing the icons in the systray - can't figure out how t..

Hi all,

A while in the past I was asking about how to unlimit the number of
icons that will stay in the systray, there seems to be a 23 icon
limit... someone suggested doing something about resizing them but I
can't remember how it was done, and now I'd like to undo it... I
think it was something in the Admin Tools but I've searched for a
while now and can't see anything related to this.

It did scrunch up the icons, but it distorted them also... and I'd
like them back to normal now.. it's been several months and lots of
changes so can't just go back and restore to an earlier state without
having to do major reinstall work... so I'm hoping someone will know
how to do this again.

Thanks,
niteowl

In news:eek:ubmb1h3i19jjcpetqpjd4eokd6ua9junb@4ax.com,
niteowl <nobody@nowhere.com> typed:

> A while in the past I was asking about how to unlimit the
> number of
> icons that will stay in the systray, there seems to be a 23
> icon
> limit...

I'm not aware of a limit, but if there is, it's not 23. I've seen
more than that.

Please reply to the newsgroup

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 15:19:54 -0700, "Ken Blake"
<kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:

>In news:eek:ubmb1h3i19jjcpetqpjd4eokd6ua9junb@4ax.com,
>niteowl <nobody@nowhere.com> typed:
>
>> A while in the past I was asking about how to unlimit the
>> number of
>> icons that will stay in the systray, there seems to be a 23
>> icon
>> limit...
>

>I'm not aware of a limit, but if there is, it's not 23. I've seen
>more than that.

I can only tell you what's happening on my machine... here's my
settings:

resolution 800 x 600
3rd party program called "Tscuts" to put specific icons in the systray
(I've used this program for years, in win98 and never had a limit. I
could line up icons all the way across the screen)

Windows XP Pro
Display properites/Appearance/ Windows Classic Style
Color Scheme = Windows Standard

The icons appear to reach their limit half way across the bottom of
the screen, I have changed the "Caption Buttons" setting In Display
Properties back to default at 18 and now instead of showing the 23
icons I had there, it's showing 3 less, and giving me scrolling arrows
on both ends of the string. This is a DEFINITE limit as to how many
icons I can put there. I want them all to show. I have the "Taskbar
and Start Menu Properites" hide inactive icons - unchecked, and I
have the "Show clock" unchecked, I have another clock that displays on
the screen where I want it to.

Only thing checked in the Taskbar settings is "Keep the taskbar on top
of other windows"
I do not use the Quick Launch.

Any ideas on how to release this limit on my machine????

thanks,
niteowl

Hi niteowl,

Thank you for posting here.

Since I cannot make sense of your issue very much, please let me know some
information as below, so that we can reproduce your issue:
1. What's the situation of your Desktop now? You may send me a screen shot
to show it.
To take a screen shot:
---------------------
1) Press the Pr Scrn key once on the keyboard when the error message
appears.
2) Click Start, go to Run, enter MSPAINT in the open dialog box, and then
Click OK.
3) Use Ctrl + V to paste the screenshot to the canvas.
4) From the File menu, go to Save and save it as a JPG file.
5) Send the JPG file to me as an attachment.
My mailbox: v-xuwen@microsoft.com

2. Can you describe what the situation before you resizing the icons is? I
mean the status you want to change back to?

3. What's the exact OS on your PC? (Windows XP Pro or Home? With SP1 or
SP2?)

4. As David said" You probably changed Caption button in Display -
Appearance - Advanced in Control Panel.", which size you changed?

I'm sorry for my nail-biting on your issue, so please let me know the
information as above, so that we can perform research on your issue. Thank
you for understanding.

Best regards,

Vincent Xu
Microsoft Online Partner Support

--------------------
| From: niteowl <nobody@nowhere.com>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
| Subject: resizing the icons in the systray - can't figure out how to
change it back
| Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 18:00:21 -0400
|
| Hi all,
|
| A while in the past I was asking about how to unlimit the number of
| icons that will stay in the systray, there seems to be a 23 icon
| limit... someone suggested doing something about resizing them but I
| can't remember how it was done, and now I'd like to undo it... I
| think it was something in the Admin Tools but I've searched for a
| while now and can't see anything related to this.
|
| It did scrunch up the icons, but it distorted them also... and I'd
| like them back to normal now.. it's been several months and lots of
| changes so can't just go back and restore to an earlier state without
| having to do major reinstall work... so I'm hoping someone will know
| how to do this again.
|
| Thanks,
| niteowl

Thanks,

rather than attaching files via email, I just put up a page at
http://www.niteowlproductions.com/systray.html you can check out the
screen shots and info you requested there.

Hopefully I can finally get some resolution on this.

Thanks again,
niteowl

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 07:31:13 GMT, v-xuwen@online.microsoft.com
(Vincent Xu [MSFT]) wrote:

>Hi niteowl,
>
>Thank you for posting here.
>
>Since I cannot make sense of your issue very much, please let me know some
>information as below, so that we can reproduce your issue:
>1. What's the situation of your Desktop now? You may send me a screen shot
>to show it.
>To take a screen shot:
>---------------------
>1) Press the Pr Scrn key once on the keyboard when the error message
>appears.
>2) Click Start, go to Run, enter MSPAINT in the open dialog box, and then
>Click OK.
>3) Use Ctrl + V to paste the screenshot to the canvas.
>4) From the File menu, go to Save and save it as a JPG file.
>5) Send the JPG file to me as an attachment.
>My mailbox: v-xuwen@microsoft.com
>
>2. Can you describe what the situation before you resizing the icons is? I
>mean the status you want to change back to?
>
>3. What's the exact OS on your PC? (Windows XP Pro or Home? With SP1 or
>SP2?)
>
>4. As David said" You probably changed Caption button in Display -
>Appearance - Advanced in Control Panel.", which size you changed?
>
>I'm sorry for my nail-biting on your issue, so please let me know the
>information as above, so that we can perform research on your issue. Thank
>you for understanding.
>
>Best regards,
>
>Vincent Xu
>Microsoft Online Partner Support
>
>Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
>

>--------------------
>| From: niteowl <nobody@nowhere.com>
>| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
>| Subject: resizing the icons in the systray - can't figure out how to
>change it back
>| Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 18:00:21 -0400
>|
>| Hi all,
>|
>| A while in the past I was asking about how to unlimit the number of
>| icons that will stay in the systray, there seems to be a 23 icon
>| limit... someone suggested doing something about resizing them but I
>| can't remember how it was done, and now I'd like to undo it... I
>| think it was something in the Admin Tools but I've searched for a
>| while now and can't see anything related to this.
>|
>| It did scrunch up the icons, but it distorted them also... and I'd
>| like them back to normal now.. it's been several months and lots of
>| changes so can't just go back and restore to an earlier state without
>| having to do major reinstall work... so I'm hoping someone will know
>| how to do this again.
>|
>| Thanks,
>| niteowl

You probably changed Caption button in Display - Appearance - Advanced in Control Panel. I only have 3 icons. If a program insists on being there it gets deleted (not uninstalled - deleted - I'm into punishment).

But changing things here windows helpfully (or not) adjusts other related settings. The best way is to use the themes tab, choose a known scheme - and if that's not to your liking change that.

If you change resolution can you change the number of icons. I remember your previous post but I couldn't find 23 icons (then or now) to put there to test your assertions.

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 09:57:14 +1000, "David Candy" <.> wrote:

>You probably changed Caption button in Display - Appearance - Advanced =
>in Control Panel. I only have 3 icons. If a program insists on being =
>there it gets deleted (not uninstalled - deleted - I'm into punishment).

that was it, thanks!!!!

>But changing things here windows helpfully (or not) adjusts other =
>related settings. The best way is to use the themes tab, choose a known =
>scheme - and if that's not to your liking change that.
>
>If you change resolution can you change the number of icons. I remember =
>your previous post but I couldn't find 23 icons (then or now) to put =
>there to test your assertions.

don't want to change the resolution.. 800x600 is what my eyes need..
;)

thanks,
niteowl

Idiot if you want to knoiw what is happeniong you have to run the tests moron.

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 11:50:06 +1000, "David Candy" <.> wrote:

>Idiot if you want to knoiw what is happeniong you have to run the tests moron.

I DID do the things you suggested, it got my icons back to correct
size again, and I did say Thanks for that, I appreciate the info, it
did answer one of my questions.

I am still experiencing the limitation.

Changing the resolution DOES give me more icons, but still it is
limited at half way through the width of the screen and it makes the
screen unreadable for me, so that option won't work and it still does
not address the lmitation issue.

If I am the only one who is having a challenge with the number of
icons on the systray, then there must be SOMETHING, SOMEWHERE, that is
controlling it. I can't find it so I'm asking for some help.

If you don't want to help or don't know, then don't answer. If you
just want to rag on someone, who's the one wasting time?

niteowl

Just don't post here again time waster.

"niteowl" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:m7pmb1569ke32o1fkrq1jo0f4mq53189iq@4ax.com...
> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 09:57:14 +1000, "David Candy" <.> wrote:
>
>>You probably changed Caption button in Display - Appearance - Advanced =
>>in Control Panel. I only have 3 icons. If a program insists on being =
>>there it gets deleted (not uninstalled - deleted - I'm into punishment).
>
> that was it, thanks!!!!
>
>>But changing things here windows helpfully (or not) adjusts other =
>>related settings. The best way is to use the themes tab, choose a known =
>>scheme - and if that's not to your liking change that.
>>
>>If you change resolution can you change the number of icons. I remember =
>>your previous post but I couldn't find 23 icons (then or now) to put =
>>there to test your assertions.
>
> don't want to change the resolution.. 800x600 is what my eyes need..
> ;)
>
> thanks,
> niteowl

Hi niteowl,

Thank you for your reply.

Based on my knowledge, there is no limit to the icons' amount in System
Tray. From your description, I suspect you have performed some steps with
third-party applications which corrupted registry keys. Please understand
that because of lack of necessarily resource and information about the
application, we totally have no idea of what exact registry keys have been
modified by it. For the sake of resolve this issue quickly and effectively,
I recommend you work with the third party vendor for assistance with this.
Please feel free to involve me during the process of contacting the third
party application support, I am glad to provide any information.

Additionally, as a workaround, you may perform a System Restore to be back
to the initial status or other correct state.

Note: if you have some important documents or files which are created after
the restore point, please copy them to My Document. As this, even if you
are back to the initial status, they are still remained in My Documents.

To restore your system to a previous state, we can use the following steps:

1. Before you start, please close all open files and close all open
programs.
2. Click "Start"; Click "Programs or All Programs"; Click "Accessories";
Click "System Tools"; Click "System Restore". The System Restore user
interface should appear.
3. Select "Restore my computer to an earlier time" and click "Next".
4. From the restore points available, select an appropriate restore point
when your system is working correctly and click "Next".
5. Click "Next" again. The restore process will run and your system will
restart automatically.
6. After restarting, check whether your system functions correctly now. If
not, you can undo your last restoration or select another restore point in
System Restore user interface.

306084: How to restore the operating system to a previous state in Windows
XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306084

Windows XP System Restore
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/xpsysrst.mspx

Thank you for using Microsoft Newsgroup. And appreciate your cooperation
and understanding!

> [...]

| >I'm sorry for my nail-biting on your issue, so please let me know the
| >information as above, so that we can perform research on your issue.
Thank
| >you for understanding.
| >
| >Best regards,
| >
| >Vincent Xu
| >Microsoft Online Partner Support
| >
| >Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
| >

| >--------------------
| >| From: niteowl <nobody@nowhere.com>
| >| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
| >| Subject: resizing the icons in the systray - can't figure out how to
| >change it back
| >| Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 18:00:21 -0400
|
>dA29wwL!NJ67mfXvkaj3mHu+gsJgeDGJht5hWEkyWkkN9kz9wcRHXVj4xRIA5pdLOJaeD9jfXho
|
>ne.de!border2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!border1.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giga
|
>ews.com!local01.nntp.dca.giganews.com!news.giganews.com.POSTED!not-for-mail
| >|
| >| Hi all,
| >|
| >| A while in the past I was asking about how to unlimit the number of
| >| icons that will stay in the systray, there seems to be a 23 icon
| >| limit... someone suggested doing something about resizing them but I
| >| can't remember how it was done, and now I'd like to undo it... I
| >| think it was something in the Admin Tools but I've searched for a
| >| while now and can't see anything related to this.
| >|
| >| It did scrunch up the icons, but it distorted them also... and I'd
| >| like them back to normal now.. it's been several months and lots of
| >| changes so can't just go back and restore to an earlier state without
| >| having to do major reinstall work... so I'm hoping someone will know
| >| how to do this again.
| >|
| >| Thanks,
| >| niteowl
| >|

He doesn't have a problem. System Restore won't help a perfectly working XP. The cretinous idiot (I realise it's an oxymoron - but it rolls off the tongue) can't see the scroll arrows because he is an absolute moron.

So why don't you ask the natural mongol why he is misusing the System Notification Area. He is using it as a toolbar because he is too stupid to use XP properly. The sciolist, hid the full picture as he is personally dishonest, but it's bumping up into the minimun size of the taskbarlist and other toolbars.

In fututre help those that deserve it.

"Vincent Xu [MSFT]" <v-xuwen@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:b5ogArweFHA.4856@TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl...
> [...]
> | >SP2?)
> | >
> | >4. As David said" You probably changed Caption button in Display -
> | >Appearance - Advanced in Control Panel.", which size you changed?
> | >
> | >I'm sorry for my nail-biting on your issue, so please let me know the
> | >information as above, so that we can perform research on your issue.
> Thank
> | >you for understanding.
> | >
> | >Best regards,
> | >
> | >Vincent Xu
> | >Microsoft Online Partner Support
> | >
> | >Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
> | >

> | >--------------------
> | >change it back
> |
>>dA29wwL!NJ67mfXvkaj3mHu+gsJgeDGJht5hWEkyWkkN9kz9wcRHXVj4xRIA5pdLOJaeD9jfXho
> |
>>ne.de!border2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!border1.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giga
> |
>>ews.com!local01.nntp.dca.giganews.com!news.giganews.com.POSTED!not-for-mail

Vincent,

Thanks for taking the time to check this out, it's frustrating to keep
being told there is no limit when there so obviously is on my machine.

I will install this program on other XP machines and see if it does
the same thing, if so, then I'll know it's something to do with this
particular program and how it interacts with XP, if not, then I'm back
to square one.

This is only a minor irritation to me, but I'm just trying to
understand the why's of it. As I said, in previous O/S's I could line
up icons all the way across the screen if I wanted to.

Again, Thanks for your input and for taking the time with this.

niteowl

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 11:24:05 GMT, v-xuwen@online.microsoft.com
(Vincent Xu [MSFT]) wrote:

> [...]
>| >SP2?)
>| >
>| >4. As David said" You probably changed Caption button in Display -
>| >Appearance - Advanced in Control Panel.", which size you changed?
>| >
>| >I'm sorry for my nail-biting on your issue, so please let me know the
>| >information as above, so that we can perform research on your issue.
>Thank
>| >you for understanding.
>| >
>| >Best regards,
>| >
>| >Vincent Xu
>| >Microsoft Online Partner Support
>| >
>| >Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
>| >

>| >--------------------
>| >change it back
>|
>>dA29wwL!NJ67mfXvkaj3mHu+gsJgeDGJht5hWEkyWkkN9kz9wcRHXVj4xRIA5pdLOJaeD9jfXho
>|
>>ne.de!border2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!border1.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giga
>|
>>ews.com!local01.nntp.dca.giganews.com!news.giganews.com.POSTED!not-for-mail

Hi niteowl,

I do understand this issue fazed you a lot. I agree with you that you may
try to install the program on other PCs. In my experience you will find
there is no limit to the icon in system tray, but you need to push the
little triangle to scroll to click the icon you needed to access.

I hope these information as above can be of assistance. Thank you for using
Microsoft Newsgroup.