Resolution conflict with Nvidia and monitor

Nov 15, 2018
I have just bought a new computer and am having trouble using the monitor native resolution of 2560X1440. The monitor is an HP Envy inch 60Hz and is connected via a new HDMI cable. Using the same monitor my previous computer used an Nvidia GTX970 graphics card with no problems. My new computer uses an Nvidia GTX1070 graphics card. If I use the native resolution the computer boots into a black screen until I switch the monitor off and back on again. My computer vendor tried to solve the problem and Nvidia cutomer support tried to fix the problem but to no avail. The graphics card and drivers have been uninstalled twice and reinstalled. I found that using the Nvidia control panel I could make a custom resolution of 2500X1400 and then all was fine. However, some games seem to want to use the native resolution of 2560X1440 and then the screen keeps going black when the picture changes and I have to switch the monitor off and on frequently. I believe the graphics card is the problem as my previous GTX970 had no problems with this monitor and resolution. Hopefully somebody can help!

Solution

Yeah, Displayport has higher bandwidth so can offer higher resolutions and refresh rates than HDMI.

By all means try another HDMI cable, but I would try a Displayport cable if the monitor has a displayport.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Yeah, Displayport has higher bandwidth so can offer higher resolutions and refresh rates than HDMI.

By all means try another HDMI cable, but I would try a Displayport cable if the monitor has a displayport.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS