Resolution Issues on New Laptop

Joseph_232

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017
I hope I am in the right area for this.

Anyway, I was given an ACER Aspire E5-575G for work. It has an Nvidia 940mx card as well as an Intel integrated HD 620 chipset. OS is Windows 10 with a 7th gen core i5 and 8 gigs of ram. The monitor I am using is a Dell 3007WFP HC which supports 2560x1600 resolution.

I cannot get the resolution on the monitor to display higher than 1280x800. I have uninstalled both the intel and nvidia drivers and reinstalled them with the newest available. I also installed the monitor's driver. I tried doing a custom resolution under the intel settings menu since there are no options above 1280x800, it says "custom resolution exceeds maximum bandwidth."

I tried ACER support and the guy told me that my computer can't support the monitor's resolution because the laptop's native resolution is 1080p. After telling him I can't even get it to display 1080p and Intel's website says the HD 620 chipset supports up to 4k, he killed our live chat session.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Are you trying to extend a desktop across the two screens? In a bit of a reverse, I have a Surface Pro 4 (2736x1824) and a 1080p monitor.
In order to extend across the two screens adequately, I must use the lowest common resolution (in this case 1080p).

Try setting the external display to 1280x800 and ensure you get a display. Try bumping up only the external monitor and see what happens. If you lose display, you're tied by the limitation of the laptop display.

The HD 620 can do 4K - and with the laptop off, solely displaying on your monitor, I'm sure you could achieve native resolution. The problem is that it's trying to render two different resolutions that don't "play nice" with one another.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Under display properties, can you select "show only 2" (assuming 2 is your external monitor).

Once you've selected that, does it 'open up' more settings for resolution? It should. You'll likely have to remember to switch back before you can reuse the laptop screen, but it seems like that's the only way to get the resolution you want.

Joseph_232

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017
I currently have it only showing 2. I have no options for resolution. Also, I cannot click on the display adapter properties while only on screen 2. Under the Intel graphics properties I have options for resolution but nothing higher than 1280x800.

After doing a little bit more research, I think this may be a problem with the monitor. Specifically, it is a dual-link dvi connection. I am running an hdmi cable to an adapter but what I have read so far says that I would need an active adapter which I do not have.