Resolution Issues

RickB_24

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
Sorry if this is in the wrong place but I've been having trouble figuring this out and have always heard good things about this site. "Ask the Community" seemed like an appropriate solution.

Anyway, I've got a Dell Inspiron 9300 and I'm using a VGA cable to run it to an LCD Element TV/Monitor. The screen size of the external monitor and the laptop monitor are very close (2 inches or less) and they both "normally" support 1440x900. (The reason I'm doing this is because my laptop monitor is finally starting to sprout dead pixels and generally look horrible) However, I find that I can only get my laptop to send a resolution of 1280x800 to the external monitor. This results in the image being barely too large for the screen but it's better than the alternative of nothing appearing on the monitor at all (lower resolutions don't appear to be supported).

This is all fairly tolerable but I'm running into problems with my gaming because most games don't want to run at 1280x800. Most will attempt to run at 1024X768 and will be very small and tucked in a corner of the screen. I wouldn't be confused if my laptop normally couldn't display a 1440x900 image...but it can and does. Any thoughts on what could be going on here or how I could get the monitor to display what the box says it's capable of displaying would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

RickB_24

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
Thanks for the reply.

I believe my laptop has a discrete or dedicated card. It's an Nvidia GeForce Go 6800. It was pretty cool when it was first released but because of some deal Nvidia made with Dell, Dell was responsible for driver updates (which they stopped releasing in 2006 or so) and now it's pretty terrible.

From the Nvidia site:

GeForce Go 6800
Memory Interface 256-bit
Memory Bandwidth (GBps) Up to 35.2
Fill Rate (pixels/sec.) 3.6 billion
Vertices/Second 470 million
Memory Data Rate 700 MHz DDR/DDR2
1100 MHz GDDR3
RAMDACs 400 MHz

Do you think that even though the laptop itself can support 1440x900, that due to the limitations of the card it isn't able to transmit that image?

RickB_24

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
@scout_03

Thanks for the response. The manual was helpful for installation and set-up information but doesn't really address or explain my issue (why the resolution is limited when transmitting the image from the laptop to the monitor). Also, thanks for the heads up about the battery recall though I've actually already taken advantage of that.

RickB_24

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
@Rick

Thanks for the link. I'll check out the drivers and see how things go. I experimented with an edited inf driver before with a few positive results but it ultimately seemed to interfere with basic performance and stability (I crashed way more frequently). Hopefully that won't be the case here.

@scout

Thanks for the additional link. I've actually already tried fiddling with the monitor itself but it doesn't seem to produce any noticeable results. Good thought, though.