Question Resolution locked to 800x600 after system upgrade

Desolator69

Honorable
Oct 23, 2014
Hey all,

So I recently helped a friend upgrade their PC. We went from a DDR3 Intel system to a Ryzen 5 3600X, so we needed a new motherboard, RAM and a GPU (the Intel one had a built-in GPU). We also got a wireless/Bluetooth PCIe card and a new 1TB PCIe NVME SSD for the OS since we were just using a regular SATA SSD before.

I swapped the parts into the case; mobo with CPU, cooler and new RAM, new SSD, old storage, WiFi card, GPU, all plugged in. Booted up and installed Windows 10 Pro, using the old OEM CD key from the previous build (this is likely the issue, I think). The WiFi card works and the GPU is recognised in "Device Manager" as the correct card. I've also tried the card in my own PC and it is capable of 1080p, so I know the GPU is fine.

As a sanity check, would an old OEM CD-key prevent the GPU from having drivers properly installed and lock the resolution to 800x600 (don't want to buy another key for it to not fix the issue)? I've tried manually installing the nVidia driver and it seems like it installs (although rather quickly), afterwards nothing changes and the driver seems to still want to be installed, so I assume it didn't install. The "nVidia Control Panel" also doesn't open, though the task is running in task manager.

In "Settings" on Windows 10, under "Activation" it says the PC has Windows 10 Pro and that "Windows is activated with a digital licence linked to your Microsoft account". Does it still need updating with a new one though?

I've tried the "Display Driver Uninstaller", it didn't seem to fix the issue.

Device Manager:
https://ibb.co/nj1RjKF

nVidia GT710 Properties - General Tab:
https://ibb.co/89DBPZP

nVidia GT710 Properties - Driver Tab:
https://ibb.co/YN7WMNm

Desolator69

Honorable
Oct 23, 2014
  1. I believe I did, yes. I'll double check it though.
  2. Yes, from F1 to F13g, this was one of the first things I updated when trying to solve this issue.
  3. Not sure about that. Does this need to be downloaded/installed manually from the, in this case, AMD website?

System spec:
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
Gigabyte B550m Aorus Elite mATX Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LP DDR4 RAM, 2X32GB 3000MHz CAS 16
Asus nVidia GT710 2GB
TP-Link Archer TX3000E PCIe WiFi/Bluetooth card
Patriot 1TB NVME SSD
Kingston A400 240GB
Seagate Barracuda 2TB (M006 model)
Corsair CX450 PSU (grey label, not green)

Desolator69

Honorable
Oct 23, 2014
Downloaded and tried to install the chipset driver. Doesn't seem like it worked as the resolution is still 800x600.

Unzipping the folder and running the application inside it starts the installer for the AMD Adrenalin software. I click "Accept" and it starts installing (starts at 47%) and after a few seconds goes to 100% and says it installed successfully, but I can't see the software installed anywhere.

Do you know which driver this updates in Device Manager? Might be able to check it there.

Brent73

Reputable
Jul 28, 2017
Try a different HDMI cord brother. Or DP, what ever cord is being used to connect the GPU to the monitor, change it. I've run into the same problem several times. First time took me way too long trouble shooting before I finally had nothing else to check but the connection between the two. I cord can look fine, but have issues that will prevent system from displaying at the correct resolution.
Hope that helps

Reactions: Desolator69

Desolator69

Honorable
Oct 23, 2014
Try a different HDMI cord brother. Or DP, what ever cord is being used to connect the GPU to the monitor, change it. I've run into the same problem several times. First time took me way too long trouble shooting before I finally had nothing else to check but the connection between the two. I cord can look fine, but have issues that will prevent system from displaying at the correct resolution.
Hope that helps

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't think it's the cable (DVI-D) though as I have to switch it between this one and my own PC and it works just fine with the other one.

Reactions: Brent73

Desolator69

Honorable
Oct 23, 2014
Yeah I used the latest version to make the Windows 10 USB stick.

However, I discovered recently that the ethernet port doesn't work, so it seems to be a defective motherboard. Going to return it for a replacement and see if it works.