StrikerNR

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2003
I am having problem extending the resolutions of my monitor beyond 1024*768. Every time i go over this limit the program icons go off the screen and sometimes instead of stretching the screen compresses to the size of 640*480 or something. I had monitor running with the plug and play drivers, then I installed the proper monitor drivers but the problem didn’t go away.
Also, I can’t play games at any higher resolution than 1024*768.

I have the Optiquest q71 monitor. The max resolutions supported by the monitor is 1280*1024.

Does anyone know what can be done?

CPU: Intel P4 2.4B w/ 533Mhz FSB
Mobo: ASUS P4P800 Deluxe (intel 865PE)
RAM: Samsung PC2700 DDR333 512MB Single Channel
Video: Built By ATi Radeon 9600 PRO 128MB

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
Two <b>likely</b> potential sources of the problem

1) your Q71 could be dying
2) your graphics card could be defective.

Any chance of you swapping components with a friend to see which is more likely to be defective?

The loving are the daring!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Flinx on 08/03/03 05:48 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Some jerk will probably point to hardware, but I know for certain this is a software problem. Your OS thinks that your monitor can only support 1024x768 max resolution. So when you set it higher, your card puts the higher setting on a smaller screen.

The only solution is to use a different monitor driver. You could "fake" it by using a different driver from the list for a different monitor entirely, if you wanted.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Yeah, a monitor problem wouldn't look like that methinks. LCD I'd beleive more w/ fuzzifaction effects and all, but this seems like a screwy signal from the vid card, quite possibly caused by drivers going awry.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I've seen this before. When I've set my resolution to something not supported by my monitor driver, the screen shows up, but with only the "supported resolution" displayed. The rest is off to the sides. You move the mouse to the edge of the screen, it moves the screen over. This is a feature for people who want to display more details on a smaller monitor, handy for things like reading blueprints.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Ha!

If you set your resolution beyond that which your monitor driver supports, you get the higher "screen size" at the lower resolution. That is to say, the video card will expand the desktop beyond the edges of the display area, and moving your mouse to the appropriate edge will scroll the screen over, similar to using scroll bars on webpages.

If you use the wrong driver, your monitor often won't support the proper resolutions or frequencies.

This is this man's dilema. These are features, not problems, unless something is wrong with your monitor driver.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
1.) Not with those symptoms
2.) Not a chance.

His monitor driver is only supporting 1024x768. He wants to use 1280x1024, believes his monitor does support 1280x1024, and that would only leave the monitor driver as the only possible cause of him not being able to use 1280x1024, unless he's mistaken about what his monitor supports.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You know that Windows has a generic monitor driver called "1280x1024 display"? That particular driver might not give you a lot of choices for frequency, but you can try it just to see if it gives you the proper display size.

StrikerNR

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2003
CrashMan, I have exactly the problem you described in your 2nd or 3rd post and i believe its the driver problem too. My monitor is little old and the drives installed are of the right monitor but they are win98 drivers. I looked everywhere but couldn't find xp drivers. Looks like i am stuck with the problem.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Did you know you can use PowerStrip to make custom drivers? PowerStrip is a graphics card tweaker, been around forever.

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
drivers
<A HREF="http://www.viewsonic.com/support/drivers.htm" target="_new">http://www.viewsonic.com/support/drivers.htm</A>
<A HREF="http://www.viewsonic.com/support/drivers2.htm" target="_new">http://www.viewsonic.com/support/drivers2.htm</A>
I believe drivers2.htm has unsigned drivers for optiquest

The loving are the daring!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Flinx on 08/04/03 11:34 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

StrikerNR

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2003
Thanks Flinx. The drivers you pointed out worked. I can extend my resolutions now without any problem.