[SOLVED] Resolution question.-

Jun 19, 2021
Good evening, everyone. I have a monitor resolution related question:
I own a Gigabyte Radeon RX 560 (4Gb) and I use a Sony Bravia XBR-49X705D at 59 Hz as a monitor for W10.
It means that I can use a 4K (3840x2160) resolution at 200% scaling (not to have fonts too small), which I love because everything's sharp and beautiful.
Problem comes when I try to play heavy games like Doom Eternal at Full HD (1920x1080) (my hardware can't handle 4K for heavy gaming): it looks laggy.
If I reduce ingame resolution to HD (1280x720) it runs smooth again, tho.
But if I set the screen to Full HD at 100% scaling, game runs smoothly with the same Full HD ingame configuration, not to mention that Windows looks crispy.
Is there a way to have a 4K resolution at 200% scaling and keep the lag-free in games?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Solution
Assuming Exclusive Fullscreen mode, there shouldn't be any difference between the two; the display should change resolution to match the game, so if you run the game in 1080p the display should change to 1080p. If not exclusive fullscreen it's possible there's some scaling that could slow the display down.
Jun 19, 2021
The RX560 really isn't strong enough to game at 4k. I would suggest leaving at 1920x1080.
Thanks for your reply.
That's how I always run games, in Full HD (sometimes even in HD). What I don't understand is why when Windows is configured to 4K, games run laggy, if the config of the games remains the same for both Windows resolutions.

Windows / Game: Result
4K / Full HD: LAG
Full HD / Full HD: OK

Assuming Exclusive Fullscreen mode, there shouldn't be any difference between the two; the display should change resolution to match the game, so if you run the game in 1080p the display should change to 1080p. If not exclusive fullscreen it's possible there's some scaling that could slow the display down.

Solution