[SOLVED] {RESOLVED} Cannot Detect M2 SATA SSD - Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Ultra & WD Blue M.2 2280 1TB & Intel i9 11900K

Jun 14, 2021
I am unable to see the SATA SSD in both my BIOS and when I try to install Window through USB boot drive.

Here is what I've tried:
  1. Updated BIOS to latest file (F4d 2021/04/16)
  2. Changing to all three M.2 slots on my motherboard. My manuals says that all 3 slot are M.2 SATA SSD or M.2 PCIe SSD and that the 1st slot is only compatible with 11th gen processors which I do have.
  3. Going into BIOS > Disabling CSM Support switching Windows Support from Windows > Other OS, reset and save settings> Go to Key Management and Clear Secure Boot Keys > plug Window Bootable USB and Reset > go through USB boot to see if window can detect but no drive appears.

Shouldn't it appear at least in Windows boot even though it does not appear in BIOS before it is formatted? Also, I don't have another computer with an M2 slot to test if is dead or to try and manual format from disk management.

Please let me know of any other things I could potentially try.

Thank you,

Solution
Changing to all three M.2 slots on my motherboard. My manuals says that all 3 slot are M.2 SATA SSD or M.2 PCIe SSD and that the 1st slot is only compatible with 11th gen processors which I do have.
Only single M.2 slot on your board supports sata M.2 drives (not all M.2 slots).

In manual M2P_SB is listed as supporting sata. In Gigabyte support web page M2M_SB is listed. Inconsistency.
Anyway - trust manual.

popatim

Titan
According to Gigabyte the SSD needs to only be in the M2M_SB slot since it's sata and you cannot have another drive plugged into the Sata 3_1 connector.
In your bios, make sure the Sata controller is enabled and that all the sata ports are enabled also.

Changing to all three M.2 slots on my motherboard. My manuals says that all 3 slot are M.2 SATA SSD or M.2 PCIe SSD and that the 1st slot is only compatible with 11th gen processors which I do have.
Only single M.2 slot on your board supports sata M.2 drives (not all M.2 slots).

In manual M2P_SB is listed as supporting sata. In Gigabyte support web page M2M_SB is listed. Inconsistency.
Anyway - trust manual.

Last edited:
Solution
Jun 14, 2021
According to Gigabyte the SSD needs to only be in the M2M_SB slot since it's sata and you cannot have another drive plugged into the Sata 3_1 connector.
In your bios, make sure the Sata controller is enabled and that all the sata ports are enabled also.

So I've tried all three m2 slot and it isnt detected in any of them. Also, do not have any other Sata Drives hooked up.

Jun 14, 2021

Anyway - trust manual.

Yeah it was a little confusing the wording in one section suggested that it work for both types but another part was as you stated only M2M_SB

Please let me know of any other things I could potentially try.
Check sata controller mode in BIOS. It has to be set to AHCI (not Intel RTS with Optane).

Can you show a photo of your M.2 drive?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

Also you could install the drive in M.2 sata adapter and connect to onboard sata port instead.

81TJowfhorL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Jun 14, 2021
Check sata controller mode in BIOS. It has to be set to AHCI (not Intel RTS with Optane).

Can you show a photo of your M.2 drive?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

Also you could install the drive in M.2 sata adapter and connect to onboard sata port instead.

81TJowfhorL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Sata controller is set to AHCI.

I took the Sata drive to local computer shop and they verified what I thought which was that it was DOA. I ended up just ordering a new Samsung NVMe PCie SSD and it worked fine after I formatted it.

Thanks for the help!

TRENDING THREADS