Resolved: Flash is not working in IE 11 Windows 8.1

Astralv

Distinguished
Hey there. This issue is resolved for now, and first post contains some troubleshooters if you have the same issue. Thank you for your help.

After installing Win. 8.1 and being forced to reinstall OS and start over due to the USB support failure, I am continuing to troubleshoot this computer full time for over a month now. And every day I discover something else is being wrong with it. Today- it is the Flash player. I can not play several videos (can play some). Where the video supposed to be, I have the following message:

The Adobe Flash Player or an HTML5 supported browser is required for video playback.
Get the latest Flash Player
Learn more about upgrading to an HTML5 browser

When I attempt to "Get Flash Player", it says, "You aren’t running Internet Explorer in Windows 8.

It offers this troubleshooting, which is NOT effective.

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/flash-player-issues-windows-8.html

What does it mean- I am not running IE in Windows 8? My guess- it means- I am not runing it from Metro, I am running it from Desktop. We all running it from the desktop. Despite Microsoft's push for the tablets, many users still prefere the desktops. Most of professional operations such as Web and Graphics design, Sound design and media productions are done on (Macs) Desktops, not on the tablet. It is so frustrating that Microsoft covered its website with tablets pictures and family- oriented sentimental images. Not supportive environment for any kind of professionals to take this platform seriously. I am tired of my colegues in entertainment industry always making fun of me still using Windows, and I feel like even most loyal intusiasts will eventually give up.

So now back to the question: why in the world I can not see the videos? What do you see on this web site? http://www.bigfishaudio.com/detail.html?1;16;1:::::::513179:::D513179::517935#

I see space holder in upper left corner where the demo audio samples supposed to be (so now- it can not play audio either?) and large space holder where the video supposed to be. This is frustrating!

I have seen this solution on Microsoft site- wondering if I have to do this:

This error code could happen due to corrupt system files related to Internet Explorer. Before proceeding further, I would suggest you to check for the updates offered from Windows Update.

Let’s turn off and turn on Internet Explorer and check if it resolves the issue:

a. Press “Windows key +W”.

b. Type “Turn Windows features on or off” in the search box.

c. Select “Turn Windows feature on or off” option from the left panel.

d. Uncheck “Internet Explorer 11” option from the list and click “Ok”.

e. Restart the computer.

f. Open “Turn windows features on or off” then check the box next to “Internet Explorer 11” option to install it.

Thank you for your patience.

Solution
I had the same problem. After installing windows 8.1 running explorer 11..after doing many changes that didn't work, like running the update to explorer 11..deactivating ActiveX etc.. I went to yahoo where the was a video which said.. "You must install adobe flash player to view this video".. well I already had it and the test page proved it was working.It showed the version, OS, etc. The solution was simple.. I returned to the video on yahoo that didn't work..clicked on "compatibility view" under "Tools between Favorites and help on the browser menu bar, added yahoo and bingo it worked.

Astralv

Distinguished
Ok- this is weird. In the Safety, if Active X Filtering is checked, it blocks active content. So it is resolved for now. However, the reason I have it checked is because Flash was not working, and I used first troubleshooter (Flash web page) which advised to check it. It did not fix it then. But now that I unchecked it- it fixed it. So the solution would be to check and then uncheck it and then restart- worked for me- for now... Thank you for reading.

steveshrdw

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
I had the same problem. After installing windows 8.1 running explorer 11..after doing many changes that didn't work, like running the update to explorer 11..deactivating ActiveX etc.. I went to yahoo where the was a video which said.. "You must install adobe flash player to view this video".. well I already had it and the test page proved it was working.It showed the version, OS, etc. The solution was simple.. I returned to the video on yahoo that didn't work..clicked on "compatibility view" under "Tools between Favorites and help on the browser menu bar, added yahoo and bingo it worked.

Solution

cuzican86x

Honorable
Dec 16, 2013
What resolved the issue for me was to simply go to the address bar on the website where the video is not working and click on the "no" symbol then click on "turn off Active X filtering." That fixed it for me on ie 11.