[SOLVED] [Resolved] GTX 1070 not working on Windows 11 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wangweixun

Prominent
Sep 2, 2019
Hi,

New PC (built a few months ago) with old video card (GTX 1070). I did a clean install of Windows 11 from USB drive. Everything works fine now except that I can't get the video card working reliably. Yesterday, if I start the PC with the monitor connected to the video card (DisplayPort), I got black screen. If I connect to the motherboard graphic, it works fine. I did a hot swap to the video card with Windows 11 running, it worked. I even tried to restart a few times, shut-down and power on, connecting to the video card. Everything was fine. So I thought the issue was resolved.

The same issue happened again this morning. The video card just won't work at startup. I had to switch to MB graphics first. Really weird.

I got the latest driver installed. No "unknown device" in Device Manager … everything looks normal.

Please help... Thanks!

Last edited:
Solution
I don't have win 11. but you could try turning fast startup off

this will be fun to see if these steps work
right click start
choose power options
in settings, under Related settings, click Additional power settings
now if control panel window pops up, click Choose what the power button does in the left menu
now on this screen, click Change settings that are currently unavailable
click the box next to Turn on fast startup so that its clear (no tick)
save the changes

I don't know if that will help but it might if problem is the drivers. If you have an ssd in pc you don't need fast startup. Its starting to not really be needed at all.

You could try running DDU in safe mode but I have to tell you...

Colif

Win 11 Master

right click start
choose power options
now if control panel window pops up, click Choose what the power button does in the left menu
save the changes

I don't know if that will help but it might if problem is the drivers. If you have an ssd in pc you don't need fast startup. Its starting to not really be needed at all.

You could try running DDU in safe mode but I have to tell you, these are all win 10 steps and things might have changed in settings etc - https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/

safe mode in win 11 - https://allthings.how/how-to-boot-into-windows-11-safe-mode/ (needed for above link)

edit: April 2022: you need to search for control panel
sort by large icons
power options

remainder of steps should work :)

Last edited:
Solution

Joseph_138

Distinguished
I just swapped out a 1050Ti for a 1080 in my Dell XPS 8940 running Windows 11 without issues, so it's not anything related to Pascal cards, because I got two of them to work with Windows 11. Maybe your video card chose now to decide to die, and Windows 11 has nothing to do with it. Did you try going back to Windows 10 to see if the video card is still acting up there?

wangweixun

Prominent
Sep 2, 2019
I just swapped out a 1050Ti for a 1080 in my Dell XPS 8940 running Windows 11 without issues, so it's not anything related to Pascal cards, because I got two of them to work with Windows 11. Maybe your video card chose now to decide to die, and Windows 11 has nothing to do with it. Did you try going back to Windows 10 to see if the video card is still acting up there?

Well it works. Just not at startup :). If I plug in after Windows 11 is booted it works fine...

wangweixun

Prominent
Sep 2, 2019

right click start
choose power options
save the changes

You could try running DDU in safe mode but I have to tell you, these are all win 10 steps and things might have changed in settings etc - https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/

safe mode in win 11 - https://allthings.how/how-to-boot-into-windows-11-safe-mode/ (needed for above link)

Thank you but I could not find similar settings in Win 11.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I should have known steps wouldn't work in an OS they still building
to get to fast startup in win 11 right now
  • search Control panel in search
  • choose System & security
  • click power options
  • click "Choose what the power buttons do"
  • click "change settings that are currently unavailable"
  • click the box next to Turn on Fast Startup (recommended)

this is all likely to change as they merge more CP into Settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.