Question RESOLVED: How to Start / Power / Boot the Motherboard When Breadboarding - ASUS ROG Strix X470-F

Jun 7, 2019
First time build, still at breadboarding stage.

I've read advice to short the pins with a screwdriver, but I need help identifying which ones specifically. I've been looking through the manual but it isn't entirely clear to me yet.

I've connected:
  • PSU (EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2)
  • Motherboard (ASUS ROG Strix X470-F)
  • Memory in Slot B2 (Corsair Vengeance 8GB)
  • CPU + Cooler (AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Wraith Prism)
I turn on power supply and the LEDs on motherboard do light up but that's it.

I tried a screwdriver on the CMOS pins but that didn't seem to do anything.

0TOYJYm.jpg

Where / what should I do to get it to start / boot after powering on the PSU? Do I need to use the case / panel connectors? I'm hoping the fan starts to spin to verify all components so far are functioning properly before moving on to graphics card, storage, case, etc.

Appreciate any help or pointers.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2019
Is the GPU still required even for breadboarding? We tried a complete build unsuccessfully so are trying to isolate which components might be an issue so started back at the beginning to try and verify a minimum system.

For pinout, I'm looking at the schema diagram 1.1.2 in the manual -- are you suggesting the easiest thing to do would just be to plug in the panel from the case?

Thanks for any clarification.

greigm78

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
You will get it to start up with no GPU but you won't get any video signal to a monitor to see it working. So not sure how you will trouble shoot if you can't confirm the set-up works.

Shorting the CMOS pins will just rest the CMOS settings. You need to find the front pin out diagram in the manual (JFP1) and short out the the pins for the power switch.

Jun 7, 2019
When building the system the first time we never saw the fan of the cooler spin but weren't able to diagnose the source of the problem. I know we'll need the GPU eventually but I think success in breadboarding at this stage is simply observing the fan spinning.

I tried to figure out which pair of pins to short but none are labeled JFP1. I am guessing the PWRBTN + GND are the ones to connect with a screwdriver.

t3rDMwK.png

Feeling a little nervous about that we instead tried plugging in the power connector from the case to see if that would work and fortunately it did. The fan started spinning so I think all of the components we have are functional and I can proceed with GPU, storage, and putting it in the case.

8V3ryPL.jpg

Thanks everybody for the ideas and suggestions.