Discussion RESOLVED: Need Help Troubleshooting New Ryzen Build

nougat

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2007
About one month ago, I built a new PC that ran perfectly for about three weeks then started randomly shutting off and eventually stopped posting altogether.

This is not my first build. I've built a few PCs over the years and have a fair amount of experience. I'm looking for any help this forum can offer to identify the problem.

My key components:
  • AMD Ryzen 3700x Processor
  • Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra Motherboard
  • Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3600 (PC4-28800) C18
  • Corsair MP510 1TB NVMe M.2 Drive
  • nVidia RTX 2070 Super
  • Corsair Vengeance 750M Power Supply (750 Watt)
The Problem: When powering on the PC, this is what I see: the CPU light on the motherboard comes on and goes out, then the RAM light comes on and goes out and then the GPU light comes on and stays on and the bios will never post. My first thought was that the GPU is bad, so I tried my old GPU (MSI GTX 970) that is working fine in another system and I got the same result.

What I've done so far:
  • Reviewed the "PERFORM THESE STEPS before posting about POST/boot/no video problems!" thread
  • Tried a different working GPU from another system
  • Reset CMOS and removed battery for several hours
  • Re-flashed to the latest bios using the Gigabyte QFlash+ method. The bios seemed to flash fine, but still no post
  • Attempted boot with only one stick of RAM (tried multiple slots with each stick).
  • Attempted booting with two known working sticks of RAM from another system.
  • Replaced the motherboard with a new x570 Aorus Ultra (same result)
What I will do next:
  • Try a working power supply from another system.
  • Replace the CPU? (I've already checked it and re-seated it and all seems fine). It worked fine for weeks and I never let it get above 70C, so I don't think it went bad.)
  • Anything else?
Thanks in advance.

Mohan_27

Respectable
Jun 2, 2017
Trying another powersupply on another system is definitely a shout.
Also double check all cables are tightly connected, especially the PSU onces.
How old is the powersupply?
At what times did the system shut down randomly?

nougat

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2007
I checked all the connections when I swapped motherboards, so those should be fine. The power supply was new with this build, so it's only 1 month old now.

The shutdowns were random. I could be gaming and it would be fine and then just random work in windows and it would reboot or vice versa. There was no common precedent to the shutdowns and the shutdowns were very rare until just before the "no post" problem where I had 3 in a 10 minute period.

I just bought a new EVGA power supply and will install tonight and report back.

Thanks

Last edited:

nougat

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2007
UPDATE: I just installed a new EVGA 850 GQ power supply and still have the same problem. No post.

To recap: I've tried replacing motherboard, memory, GPU and power supply. All that is left is the CPU, right?

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS