[SOLVED] [RESOLVED] Screen goes black and graphic card fans are going full speed

Suporex

Reputable
Oct 28, 2016
Hi,

My spec Intel i7 - 6800k Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 Windows 10 x64

This setup worked for 3 years no issue. Recently I had some Microsoft updates and Nvidia driver as I keep it up to date all the time. What happens is that after some time screen goes black and graphic card vent is going full speed. Only thing to recover is to power down by holding power button for 3 sec. I have searched web and many people pointed to reinstalling drivers with blocking Microsoft driver update install. So what I did is I used DDU in safe mode to remove Nvidia drivers and then booted without internet connected and installed newest driver (451.48-desktop-win10-64bit-international-dch-whql). This didn't help, Wierd thing is this might happen 2 minutes after starting Windows or few hours after.

Finally cought this in event viewer, there are 2 Critical there:
DriverFrameworks-UserMod
Event ID 10110
A problem has occurred with one or more user-mode drivers and the hosting process has been terminated. This may temporarily interrupt your ability to access the devices.

Event ID 10111
The device HID-compliant headset (location (unknown)) is offline due to a user-mode driver crash. Windows will attempt to restart the device 4 more times. Please contact the device manufacturer for more information about this problem.

Any help appreciated.

[RESOLVED] I was pointed to this on one of the forums --> https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/898055-black-screen-gpu-fans-at-full-speed-crash-fixed
I decided to check my card. When I was removing everything I noticed that power cable to GPU that has 8 pins has 6 solid and two added on the side and those 2 were not fully in (not sure how this happened as PC worked fine for 3 years and I was gaming as well) I tried to push it in but it was never "clicked" in. So I used second GPU cable and there all 8 pins "clicked" and are fully in. Since then no crashes/black screens.

Last edited:
Solution
does anything show in Reliability history when screen goes blank?
What can happen is display drivers keep not responding and eventually the Desktop Windows Manager will give up and may swap to basic display drivers, and depending on what monitor you have, it can't power the monitor and turns it off. Only fix is a restart. I been there before. ITs not the GPU or its drivers to blame, its just what is crashing.

Is headset USB?

this can be caused by a USB device that is misbehaving. Mine was caused by my mouse. Took a few months to reach that conclusion.

Colif

Win 11 Master
does anything show in Reliability history when screen goes blank?
What can happen is display drivers keep not responding and eventually the Desktop Windows Manager will give up and may swap to basic display drivers, and depending on what monitor you have, it can't power the monitor and turns it off. Only fix is a restart. I been there before. ITs not the GPU or its drivers to blame, its just what is crashing.

Is headset USB?

this can be caused by a USB device that is misbehaving. Mine was caused by my mouse. Took a few months to reach that conclusion.

Solution