[SOLVED] Respectfully asking about ESD possibility

em_2__

Reputable
Jun 25, 2016
Hello. Thank you in advance for your attention and response.

I have two possible ESD events I'd like to ask about. First one: while repasting my laptop CPU (had an anti static band and rubber surgical gloves on) , I placed it on top of a zip lock plastic bag that was roughly it's same width. This plastic bag made my hair stand up on my arms as I picked it up. Which is how I came to assume it was static charged.

Second, It rains a bit up here in seattle, so I usually place my laptop with that same plastic bag with my backpack when I go out.

The questions: what is the likelihood of an ESD on the motherboard after setting it upon the plastic bag?

And is it possible to substain static electricity damage via usb,hdmi and other ports after placing the laptop in the apparently static charged plastic bag?

I'm mostly worried about latent damage.

Thank you again for reading and answering.

Solution
I have seen dead I/O ports due to static. ESD that is not even felt will instantly fry microelectronics in some cases.
The more sophisticated (and expensive) devices employ port filters to prevent such damage. Depends on the device's circuitry.
A good practice (when the air is dry and static discharge is common) would be touching a grounded object prior to touching the laptop (or any other electronic device). A rainproof case would eliminate the need to carry it in a plastic bag.
I have seen dead I/O ports due to static. ESD that is not even felt will instantly fry microelectronics in some cases.
The more sophisticated (and expensive) devices employ port filters to prevent such damage. Depends on the device's circuitry.
A good practice (when the air is dry and static discharge is common) would be touching a grounded object prior to touching the laptop (or any other electronic device). A rainproof case would eliminate the need to carry it in a plastic bag.

Solution