Response time 1ms vs 5ms ?

hamada.hosny93

Reputable
Apr 23, 2018
Hi guys, going to buy a samsung 22 inches monitor for my 1st gaming pc, but hey there is some problem, it has response time 4-5ms(GTG). Also there is another monitor available to buy with typically same specifications like 1st one but difference its response time is 1ms, refresh rate is 60Hz for both of them, the biggest problem with my budget right now, the 2nd monitor costs me like 50% additional cost. BTW the 2nd is 24 inches but for me no need for the extra 2 inches.
By my local currency 1st one costs 2000, the 2nd one costs 3000 :/ difference only with 1ms response time as i mentioned before.

So my question: "is 5ms response time going to affect my gaming or gonna make any kind of troubles while gaming?"

Solution
In theory, no.
In practice, quite unlikely to see big difference.
60hz=16.888ms, so in theory anything less than that is not noticeable.

Problem is, that many manufacturers report their response times on fastest overdrive/boost settings that also can induce massive amounts of ghosting/blur. In my experience (quite limited) that pretty much means that response time could be practically doubled or tripled and if it's still below the refresh rate, it's fine.

In this case, as far as response times go, the cheaper 4-5ms one is just as good as the 1ms one, for most cases.

Edit:
for more indepth comparisons, you could google for reviews of said monitors to see what others think of them.
In theory, no.
In practice, quite unlikely to see big difference.
60hz=16.888ms, so in theory anything less than that is not noticeable.

Problem is, that many manufacturers report their response times on fastest overdrive/boost settings that also can induce massive amounts of ghosting/blur. In my experience (quite limited) that pretty much means that response time could be practically doubled or tripled and if it's still below the refresh rate, it's fine.

In this case, as far as response times go, the cheaper 4-5ms one is just as good as the 1ms one, for most cases.

Edit:
for more indepth comparisons, you could google for reviews of said monitors to see what others think of them.

Solution

hamada.hosny93

Reputable
Apr 23, 2018

Thank you so much for that info, but i wanna go with you in more discussion about some points if you can help me with:

If the real response time is doubled or tripled as you mentioned before(10-15ms) so its still below the refresh rate so that will be fine.

Now what about monitors with higher refresh rates like 75Hz or 144Hz, is it same way you explained to determine if 5ms will be fine or not? for example if we discovered that the real response time will be higher than the refresh rate so that means its bad and can cause lags or unwanted behavior and then i should change it with lower response time to avoid any kind of troubles ?? Am i right about this ??

Another question: for the cheaper monitor that i choose, usually i'm going to play heavy games like COD, Battefield Series, AC and so on ... is it will be fine with gaming or i will face some troubles like lagging and these stuff ?

The idea between response time and refresh rate is 1/refreshrate so 75 would be 13.333ms and 144hz would be 6.9ms
The response time x 3 idea is just generalization to allow for easy conversion betweent the reported and probable actual performance.

For more practical matters, the technology of said flat panel has a lot to do with it too.
TN is usually fast, no ghosting and all that except suffers from serious color changes if viewed from angle.
IPS better colors, bigger view angle, usually more costly too. usually has backlight bleeding where corners of screen can be a lot brighter in dark enviroments.
VA I hate this type, I believe it to be the "cheap" IPS same benefits but as far as I can see, also includes high ghosting problems.

but cheapest monitors are usually TN for the simple reason that said technology is cheap.

I don't think you would have any issues with said games on the cheaper 4-5ms screen but as I noted, if in doubt, google for reviews of the screen model.

hamada.hosny93

Reputable
Apr 23, 2018

Well, the 22-inches monitor is TN panel, so i think that should be fine with gaming, i heard from some other reviews that TN is better for gaming, IPS for photo or video editing. anyways really thanks so much for your time and that nice info :)