Response time Vs Refresh Rate

amaregaz

Honorable
Nov 2, 2013
Hi guys, I'm looking to buy a G-Sync monitor (I think)

I've looked on the market and I haven't seen a monitor with IPS panel that has 1ms response time, only TN. I know that TN panels don't have great colors and viewing angles but they have 1ms RT.

So my questions are:

1. Is it better to have higher refresh rate or lower response time, will it be any difference between 144Hz 1Ms vs 144Hz 4Ms on a G-sync monitor? (I'm a casual gamer, I play Esports titles but I don't have lighting reflexes)

2. I want to use G-sync and limit the fps to 60 in demanding titles, but if I do that and let's say my Gpu can render more than 60fps will I get the same input lag as using V-sync?

3. I've seen two types of panels that support G-sync besides TN which are VA and IPS, which of these two is better when it comes to viewing angles and color?

Refresh rate is a pre determined time at which the frame is changed out for a new one,no matter what.
Response time is the time it takes for a change to appear.
If you scroll a text and see it blurry (smearing/ghosting) that's what response time does,it responds to changes and displays them as fast as possible.

If your not demanding get a normal 144 screen and just use fast sync from nvidia control panel,it runs the GPU as fast as possible but waits for full frames to send to the display so it's a bit slower then gsync but also much cheaper.

You limit the FPS you get lag,it might not be the same but it will be there,have you ever played a game and noticed input lag?Some people are very sensitive to it others can't notice it at all, as a casual gamer without lighting reflexes I would care much.

amaregaz

Honorable
Nov 2, 2013
I can't say I experienced input lag, but I do notice the difference by playing Portal 2 at 60 V-sync on vs 100fps without it, it feels smoother and 100, is it just the FPS or is there some kind of input lag.

I just saw Monitors that have VA panels with 144hz and 1ms, but they are with Freesync, why aren't there any with G-sync?

High refresh rate monitors tend to have low enough response times to not have ghosting issues. But check with the monitor and pro reviews. Stated response times are best possible with reverse ghosting which makes it a marketing tactic to fool people like most other tv/monitor specs. You could check reviews for actual numbers but they can differ depending on the testing method. As long as it doesn't ghost, who cares about the number or scale used. It's also gtg, grey to white to grey.

Vsync introduces more input lag. The whole point of gsync was not only to remove that increase but also to make it smoother when fps varies.

Viewing angles should be irrelevant. How many people look at their monitors at a steep enough angle for it to shift? Is there a reason you can't turn the monitor to face it directly? Va is going to look better because it's much better contrast and black levels. Va also doesn't have ips glow. The color is comparable to ips when talking about these high refresh rate monitors. But again check the monitor model. You can give generalizations about panel type but they overlap so much, you need to check the model. I've seen even tn with better color than higher end ips.

Here's all the 144hz+ va with gsync monitors. There aren't many but va has been making improvements like they did with ips when it was slow. https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100160979%20600338123%20600417886%20601115272%20601191223%20600311118%20600311978%20600325897%20600460747%20600559797&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=60

TRENDING THREADS