[SOLVED] Responsive but “crashed” Shogun 2

TM1172

Reputable
Nov 19, 2019
Good morning, everyone.

yesterday I transplanted my build from an old mid-ATX tower into a Darkflash DLM-22 m-ATX tower. All the hardware transferred over no problem, and in the process I upgraded from a tower air cooler to a Corsair h100i v2 for CPU cooling.

The machine powered on just fine, booted without any problem and within seconds, Windows 10 was logged on and running smoothly. I opened up Steam and launched TW Shogun 2 (been on a kick lately) and this is where it got weird - the game freezes, but the screen is still responsive. If the freeze happens on the title screen, the background stops moving, but the spear mouse icon can still move around the screen and make certain menus move. If it freezes during a battle, I can still use hotkeys and pan around the battlefield; the escape button brings up the exit battle menu. All sound and movement stops. Eventually, everything becomes non responsive.
The freeze affects Windows, too. If I exited the game prior to it becoming non responsive, I can open the Windows start menu, and I can close some open applications. However, if I hit any executable option (like another program or restart/shutdown) nothing happens, and eventually Windows hangs. At that point I have to do a hard shutdown by holding the power button.
Does anyone know of this happening to other people, or what the root cause might be? It doesn’t seem to happen with other games, although I haven’t had time to stress test the system or see if longer play on other games would lead to the same thing. Perhaps uninstalling and reinstalling the game might help? I don’t see a reason to suspect any hardware changes caused this, but I’m not an expert. CPU and GPU temps are all within limits per CoreTemp and Afterburner, CPU never higher than 59 and GPU below 70.

I have already reset my UEFI to defaults and checked the health of each drive through Computer Management, and I have verified the game files through Steam.

System specs:
Ryzen 5 2600x
ASRock Steel Legend B450m
EVGA Windforce NVidia GTX 1070 8gb
HyperX Fury DDR4-2666, 16GB
Boot drive: WD 256gb NVMe M.2
Storage drives: Samsung Evo 860 SSD 1TB, SiliconPower A55 SSD 1TB, WD Blue 5400rpm 1TB
EVGA 600BR 80+

Solution
May have found my own answer - forgot to change the water pump settings in the BIOS to full power. May have been overheating. If anyone else has other ideas, I’d still like to hear them.

TM1172

Reputable
Nov 19, 2019
May have found my own answer - forgot to change the water pump settings in the BIOS to full power. May have been overheating. If anyone else has other ideas, I’d still like to hear them.

Solution