[SOLVED] Ressurecting 8 year old phenom pc

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Robbom

Reputable
Mar 13, 2016
Friends young son has an old pc with the following specs:
Motherboard - Asrock 880GM-LE
CPU - Phenom ii X6 1055t
Generic 240w PSU that appears to be part of the case
4gb ddr3 ram

He wants to be able to play games such as Fortnite on the pc, and I was wondering whether adding an RX 560 to the system would be a cost efficient way to allow him to do this at low-medium settings without increasing the draw from PSU too much (as I don't know how much this could be trusted) and without his parents having to buy a brand new pc. If we did go ahead with this would the 4gb of ram be a limiting factor? Finally would adding a 120gb ssd for OS help performance?
Appreciate any help
Cheers

Last edited:
Solution
Friends young son has an old pc with the following specs:
Motherboard - Asrock 880GM-LE
CPU - Phenom ii X6 1055t
Generic 240w PSU that appears to be part of the case
4gb ddr3 ram

He wants to be able to play games such as Fortnite on the pc, and I was wondering whether adding an RX 560 to the system would be a cost efficient way to allow him to do this at low-medium settings without increasing the draw from PSU too much (as I don't know how much this could be trusted) and without his parents having to buy a brand new pc. If we did go ahead with this would the 4gb of ram be a limiting factor? Finally would adding a 120gb ssd for OS help performance?
Appreciate any help
Cheers

240W, especially on an aged power hungry system like...
Got the pc back and the PSU is really thin, about 9cm, so I'm pretty sure the CX 450 I was planning to get wouldn't fit as theres no room for it to sit in any other orientation. In addition the gtx 660 doesn't fit in the case. I would attach images but I'm not exactly sure how to do so. I'm sure a low profile Rx 560 would fit, but the PSU size is still an issue. Any ideas? Wondering if building a system from scratch would be a better option at this point.

I don't think you posted what that computer model actually was, or pictures of it. In most cases trying to upgrade a small form OEM system for gaming is a waste of time and money that can be spend on a replacement. If this was a tower system with a standard power supply and standard power and case connections on the motherboard it's easier. From sounds of things, it's not a tower case, and you will need a small form video card.

Robbom

Reputable
Mar 13, 2016
After discussing all of this with the kids parents we've decided that building a cheap rig new is probably a better move. Would something like this be good?

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/bD22q4

Thought I might as well still use the 660, I assume it would perform better that the Vega 11 graphics of the 2400g? This build is cheap for now but would mean that in a couple of years if the kid is still into gaming, a graphics upgrade could actually make this into a decent rig.
What do you think?

I don't think you posted what that computer model actually was, or pictures of it. In most cases trying to upgrade a small form OEM system for gaming is a waste of time and money that can be spend on a replacement. If this was a tower system with a standard power supply and standard power and case connections on the motherboard it's easier. From sounds of things, it's not a tower case, and you will need a small form video card.

Latest posts