Question Restart Function Stuck At Logo

Aug 28, 2019
I’m not sure if this is a Windows issue or an Asus issue but here’s what happens. I cannot use the restart function. If I press restart, the computer shuts down and when it tries to boot back up it gets stuck at the Asus logo and I have to do a force shut down. There is no problem shutting down and then powering back on again, only when using restart or automatic restarts such as for updates. What I’ve been doing is waiting for updates to restart, get to the Asus logo, then force shutdown and hope the update goes alright once I power on again. I’ve tried a clean install of windows, and sfc scan now and subsequent repair commands. No errors come up anyway. The only thing I can think of is that I’m using the previous BIOS version since the newest one prevents startup due to a conflict with my secondary SSD. Anyhow if anyone had any ideas or a solution that would be great. Thanks!

Aug 28, 2019
how does new bios conflict with 2nd ssd? Was windows ever on 2nd ssd?

i doubt its windows if problem survived a clean install.

Have you reset BIOS to default settings? What motherboard is it?

Idk why the conflict happens but its well documented on the Asus forums, several threads are dedicated to it. Sadly it's been more than a year and nothing from Asus. Customer support was useless multiple times. Not sure what motherboard is in there. It's an ASUS Rog Strix GL502VS with an intel i7 6700HQ CPU. I can try resetting the BIOS to default though Im pretty sure Ive never changed anything.

To my mind it has something to do with your ssd('s)
If I interpreted your situation correctly, the issue starts right after the bios (asus) splash screen

This seems to indicate an issue with your storage media, as right after the bios flash screen, the first resource your pc uses is the ssd/hdd, wherever the OS resides on

I would suggest that you try and instal win on a spare HDD/ssd and use only that one in the system to see if your problem persists

Aug 28, 2019
To my mind it has something to do with your ssd('s)
If I interpreted your situation correctly, the issue starts right after the bios (asus) splash screen

This seems to indicate an issue with your storage media, as right after the bios flash screen, the first resource your pc uses is the ssd/hdd, wherever the OS resides on

I would suggest that you try and instal win on a spare HDD/ssd and use only that one in the system to see if your problem persists

Just out of curiosity though, why would it start up fine from a complete shutdown but not a restart? What is happening when using the restart function that isnt happening from a complete shutdown?

(note I reset the bios as suggest but it had no effect)