[SOLVED] Restart issue - does anyone know why my PC does this?

ddule.srb

Honorable
Apr 4, 2018
Hi! I have an issue that whenever i try to restart my computer, it goes through the process of restarting, shows the restart screen, and when it needs to go to black screen, and then motherboard screen and windows loading, it does not. Right after restart screen, it drops a black screen and my monitor shows 'no signal'. PC still runs, but there's no audio, nothing is booting, it basically gets stuck there. This is also an issue with shutting down sometimes, but 100% always with restarting. What can be the issue here?

Windows desktop
Clicking restart
Restart screen
Black screen <-------- Here is where my PC gets stuck and doesn't proceed
Powering on (restarting/bootup process)
Motherboard logo screen
Windows loading
Windows login
Windows desktop
System specs:

CPU: I7-4790K stock clock w/ Dark Rock Pro4
MB: MSI Z87 Express G55 LGA 1150
RAM: 12GB / 2x4GB Transcend 1333Mhz DDR3 + 2x2 Crucial 1333Mhz DDR3 / Paired in dual channel
GPU: R9 290 Powercolor PCS+ 4GB
PSU: Coolermaster MWE V2 650W Gold
SSD 1: Kingston A400 256GB boot drive
SSD 2: Patriot P210 512GB storage drive
HDD: Hitachi 1TB storage drive
Case: BitFenix Ghost ATX

What i know so far:

Temperatures are fine, would say even amazing
Reinstalling Windows does not fix the issue, this is most likely a BIOS issue or hardware issue?
Front Panel connectors are all in the right places, checked 3 times
CMOS battery is in good condition, saves configurations, time, settings etc just fine
BIOS fast boot options, sleep modes don't change anything
CPU is 100% working, used i5-4590 which also had the same issue
GPU is 100% working, used GT-210 which also had the same issue
PSU is 100% working, used LC-Power 650W which also had the same issue

I do remember changing to any other motherboard fixes the issue, so i know it's a motherboard issue but is it actually? Bios is flashed to newest, tried 2 times to double check if there isn't anything corrupt in the BIOS files. Everything is up to date. Please, if anyone knows why is this happening, let me know how to fix it as it sometimes causes huge problems for me as i cannot restart the computer properly and install Windows updates, driver updates or anything else that needs the system restarting. It's a gamble sometimes if it's going to actually register a restart as when the screen goes black, i just shut it down over the button hold 3 seconds and booting again. Thanks inforward!

Solution
Fixed! I bought a "Broken" Asus Z97 Armor Edition for $15 with 1 ripped pin and multiple bent. Checked the LGA 1150 diagram, figured out the ripped out one is only ground and others are RSVD. I fixed it, tried the motherboard and the restarting problem is gone! I don't know exactly if it's to the settings in the BIOS in which i reset multiple times so something must be bugging from default settings or is it due to the SSD. Either way, fixed!

Lutfij

Titan
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z87-G55/Specification
Is this the motherboard you're working with? If so, you're working with BIOS version A.7 ?

Did you try powering the system without the discrete GPU to see if the issue is reproduceable?

I had to dig this up when I read your SSD's make and model. Perhaps try and install the OS onto another drive, outside of the other two, without any other drive hooked up to the platform and see if the issue persists. In fact, see if removing all of your storage options without the Kingston drive, causes the issue to persist.

Reinstalling Windows does not fix the issue
Did you recreate the bootable installer to rule out a corrupt installer?

ddule.srb

Honorable
Apr 4, 2018
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z87-G55/Specification
Is this the motherboard you're working with? If so, you're working with BIOS version A.7 ?

Did you try powering the system without the discrete GPU to see if the issue is reproduceable?

I had to dig this up when I read your SSD's make and model. Perhaps try and install the OS onto another drive, outside of the other two, without any other drive hooked up to the platform and see if the issue persists. In fact, see if removing all of your storage options without the Kingston drive, causes the issue to persist.

Reinstalling Windows does not fix the issue
Did you recreate the bootable installer to rule out a corrupt installer?
Hey thanks for the reply! Finally after 2 months, as i have posted this in january aswell, has replied.

1. Yes. MSI G-55 Z87 is my motherboard and it's up to the latest possible BIOS installed. I have tried also A5 and A6, lower than that i think i can't go since im running a 4790K and i sold my i5 4590.

2. I tried to put in G220 actually in the system but i think it happens aswell. But, i did hear that older Radeon cards have issues with display output, booting and similar issues with connections. But as far as i remember, no, different GPU didn't change anything.

3. I haven't tried yet to remove all of my hard drives and leave only Kingston. HOWEVER...i do remember when i had a Samsung 5400rpm HDD i salvaged from Playstation 3 that was ceiling-to-floor smashed, i knew it was going to fail soon, even though it was untouched. After a couple of months of usage, it started lagging my whole computer, but eventually started delaying my PC bootup, even though it was just a storage drive. I will look into this third one deeply, Kingston drive is already old, on 56% of lifetime expectancy over HDD sentinel, but will full 100% performance. Bought it in late 2018 if i remember correctly.

Here's the HDD Sentinel screenshot of it's status:

https://prnt.sc/h2WLQW6pHGAO

Lutfij

Titan
Hey thanks for the reply! Finally after 2 months, as i have posted this in january aswell, has replied.
You might be seeing things...the timestamp on this thread shows this thread was created on Sunday, March 12th 2023.

Once the BIOS was successfully updated, did you clear the CMOS? You also shouldn't downgrade the BIOS...can cause the board/BIOS to brick.

ddule.srb

Honorable
Apr 4, 2018
You might be seeing things...the timestamp on this thread shows this thread was created on Sunday, March 12th 2023.

Once the BIOS was successfully updated, did you clear the CMOS? You also shouldn't downgrade the BIOS...can cause the board/BIOS to brick.
Actually, i did copy-paste this thread and posted a couple of days ago, i did post it in january, but no replies... :(

I cleared CMOS many times, the G55 has a clear CMOS button at the back, but i also tried changing the CMOS battery. No changes.

ddule.srb

Honorable
Apr 4, 2018
Fixed! I bought a "Broken" Asus Z97 Armor Edition for $15 with 1 ripped pin and multiple bent. Checked the LGA 1150 diagram, figured out the ripped out one is only ground and others are RSVD. I fixed it, tried the motherboard and the restarting problem is gone! I don't know exactly if it's to the settings in the BIOS in which i reset multiple times so something must be bugging from default settings or is it due to the SSD. Either way, fixed!

Last edited:
Solution