spitoon

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2003
Hi all,

Just wondering if anybody could provide me with a list of things that may cause re-starts. I initially assumed the PSU, so I replaced it with 420W Enermax unit and the problem still exists...

About 90% of the time I will get 1-3 restarts within the first minute after windows loads, once I get through that it seems to run fine...occasionally there will be none, and occasionally there will be one some time later in my session (I would estimate both happen less than 5% of the time).

I have tried returning to the stock speed, and I have tried underclocking...currently using a 1.1GHz Celeron. It even seemed that the problem was more prevalent when I was UNDERCLOCKED to 800MHz...I had 5 consecutive re-starts before it finally worked.

System specs:
ASUS CUSL2-C
Intel Celeron 1.1Ghz
2X256MB PC133 memory (1 generic, 1 Kingston)
2 - 40G WD hard drives
1 - 48X24X48X CDRW
Windows XP Pro
GeForce4 Ti4200 128MB video card

I do have another CPU that I could put in...its a 1.4GHz Celeron. I've been running the 1.1 because it overclocks nicely to 133MHz FSB and thus outperforms the 1.4 with it's 100MHz FSB.

Could this be memory issue? I'm considering pulling out the generic stick and seeing what happens.

The restart is not a Blue Screen, just 'click' and gone.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

spitoon

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
Yep, sounds like another case of badcaps.
Check this link:
<A HREF="http://www.badcaps.com/ident" target="_new">http://www.badcaps.com/ident</A>
It could be a memory issue as well, but my money is on the bad capacitors. Endyen said you can replace them, but frankly, unless you're quite good with a soldering iron, I'm not sure if its worth the trouble. IMHO, its not that easy (but then, I'm pretty clumsy with a soldering iron).

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

spitoon

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2003
Hmmm, thanks for the heads up guys...I will peek in there and see what she looks like...sounds like a good excuse for a new computer to me :cool: , now to convince the wife :eek:

SpaceDonkey

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2004
Its feature dude. Intel calls it 'hyperreboot', and its designed to make sure you don't waste too much of your time behind frustratingly slow computers.

---------------------------------------------------
I am severly limited in what my mind can perceive.

DCB_AU

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2002
Unlikely but try a ram optimizing tool, RamIdle, etc.

XP Pro manages ram OK, but give it a try, free download - download.com, fileplanet.com, etc.

<font color=red>DCB</font color=red><font color=white>_</font color=white><font color=blue>AU</font color=blue>

dejay97

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2004
Hi,

I can suggest testing your TI 4200. I have a few problems myself and looking around various tech forums (fora ?) i have noticed quite a few people have problems with the TI series. It seem to wear down within a year.
If i understand the problem right, it has something to do with the TI 4200 being overclocked slightly from the manufactor. However i have not yet tested another board on my PC, so im not 100% certain.
If you are able to setup your system with another board, i would like to know the result (before i spend $ on a new)
Hope this can help you.

Jan

Latest posts