[SOLVED] Restart loop after aborted Windows 10 installation

TomPlk

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2014
Hi, I decided to upgrade my HDD and PSU after experiencing the following: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...-mode-keyboard-and-mouse-not-working.3539125/

The PC turned on okay, and I attempted to reinstall Windows 10 from the installation disc. I noticed that it was very slow to install. I don't remember Windows taking this long to install.

It gets to the "Getting Ready" screen, with the Windows 10 logo and the circling dots, and again, it takes ages. I have to leave for work, and I didn't want to risk aborting the installation.

I get back from work, 9-10 hours later, and it's still stuck on the Getting Ready screen. Following some advice on the internet, I decide to shut my PC down, leave it for a minute, then restart it to see if it will continue the installation.

Instead, I get to the Windows logo screen, and I get a message about how Windows detected an unsuccessful installation, telling me to press OK to restart the PC.

I click OK, the PC restarts, and the same message comes up again at the Windows logo screen, forcing me to restart.

Have I botched this completely? Will I need another new HDD? Any advice is appreciated.

Specs
Windows 10 Home edition 64 bit
Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M USB3
CPU: AMD FX 4350 quad core processor, 4200 Mhz
GPU: AMD Radeon R7 200 series
HDD: Western Digital Blue 2TB 5400 RPM, SATA 6Gb/s 64MB cache
PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 550W (80+ Gold, ATX 12V)

Solution
Hello

Can you please tell if you are trying to do a fresh install?

If yes, and if there's nothing much in your C:/ drive, the straightforward resolution would be to adjust the BIOS settings to make your DVD drive first bootable device, boot your PC with the installation disk and try doing a fresh install. Make sure to erase all the contents of the system drive when the setup prompts you for.

Hi, thanks for the advice. Yes, I was doing a fresh install.

I changed the boot order in BIOS as you suggested, but it didn't work. Instead, I went into the registry and followed step one in this article I found: https://windowsreport.com/computer-restarted-unexpectedly/

This fixed it.
Hello

If yes, and if there's nothing much in your C:/ drive, the straightforward resolution would be to adjust the BIOS settings to make your DVD drive first bootable device, boot your PC with the installation disk and try doing a fresh install. Make sure to erase all the contents of the system drive when the setup prompts you for.

You can find detailed instructions on this here.

Feel free to report back for any further assistance.

Cheers!!

TomPlk

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2014
Hello

Hi, thanks for the advice. Yes, I was doing a fresh install.

I changed the boot order in BIOS as you suggested, but it didn't work. Instead, I went into the registry and followed step one in this article I found: https://windowsreport.com/computer-restarted-unexpectedly/

This fixed it.

Solution