[SOLVED] Restart loop after memory problem

Apr 15, 2020
Hi thanks for reading. I was chopping some guys down in m&b, siege event kind of intensive on the PC when i got a BSOD for the first time.

When the pc was rebooting, a hellish BSOD loop began throwing up multiple stop codes.
Memory_management
Attempted_to_write_to_read_only_memory
System service exception
Kmode exception not handled
Irql not less or equal
Kernel security check failure
Unexpected kernel mode trap
System thread exception not handled
Critical process died

I basically cant boot in any way, out of 50 attempts it loaded to desktop twice. One of those two times i got BSOD after three mins and back into the loop. The second i was able to run system restore. 5 mins after reboot, it went back into the boot loop.

I7 9700k
2x corsair ddr4 8gb 2133
120gb ssd os drive and 240gb ssd for games
1660gtx

I switched ram sticks around now the pc just freezes at post. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Solution
Hey im just rerunnung memtest on the good stick rn. It got 0 errors over 4 passes in both ram slots.

The bad stick would boot memtest86 on the 1st slot recommended by mobo, and got just over 400 errors by test 7. This stick in the 2nd advised slot couldnt boot to memtest at all.

Atm, i have only the good stick in. I can run memtest with 0 errors, load recovery environment and hang around without BSOD unlike before, the problem now is a BSOD trying to boot os or safe mode. The stop code is critical process died, just this one so far. This one began appearing after my first system restore.

Also, from cmd i have tried sfc and dism both are not working

I did chkdsk D: /f /r and it said theres no bad sector.

My plan is to create a...
Hi thanks for reading. I was chopping some guys down in m&b, siege event kind of intensive on the PC when i got a BSOD for the first time.

When the pc was rebooting, a hellish BSOD loop began throwing up multiple stop codes.
Memory_management
Attempted_to_write_to_read_only_memory
System service exception
Kmode exception not handled
Irql not less or equal
Kernel security check failure
Unexpected kernel mode trap
System thread exception not handled
Critical process died

I basically cant boot in any way, out of 50 attempts it loaded to desktop twice. One of those two times i got BSOD after three mins and back into the loop. The second i was able to run system restore. 5 mins after reboot, it went back into the boot loop.

I7 9700k
2x corsair ddr4 8gb 2133
120gb ssd os drive and 240gb ssd for games
1660gtx

I switched ram sticks around now the pc just freezes at post. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Have you moved the system, bumped it or hit it at any point? Before the problem started, had you done anything inside the case that might have bumped or shifted the CPU heatsink? What is your motherboard and power supply model?

Some of the problem you describe is often caused by the CPU socket pins not making good contact with the CPU pads and the CPU may just need a reseat. Freezing at post can possibly be a broken CPU socket pin, or other damage on the motherboard. It's also possible the power supply is failing.

If you have access to another power supply, try swapping that first before attempting a CPU reseat. Only attempt the CPU reseat if you are comfortable doing it and have thermal paste available to repaste the CPU.

Apr 15, 2020
Hey thanks for replying. I use a corsair tx650m psu and a z390-a pro mobo. The pc has run fine for about 6 months, and no memorable bumps during that time period.

I can post and go into the launch recovery environment, sometimes i get BSOD in post saying critical process died. If i make it into recovery environment, most if not all options lead to bsod saying unexpected kernel mode trap and program for that is fltmgr.sys.

I can access bios and let it sit for as long as i want, everything appears okay but idk?

Also, critical process died began occuring after i managed to do a system restore

Should reseating the cpu help?
Could it be a virus or faulty ram/cpu?

Thanks for your time!

Hey thanks for replying. I use a corsair tx650m psu and a z390-a pro mobo. The pc has run fine for about 6 months, and no memorable bumps during that time period.

I can post and go into the launch recovery environment, sometimes i get BSOD in post saying critical process died. If i make it into recovery environment, most if not all options lead to bsod saying unexpected kernel mode trap and program for that is fltmgr.sys.

I can access bios and let it sit for as long as i want, everything appears okay but idk?

Should reseating the cpu help?
Could it be a virus or faulty ram/cpu?

Thanks for your time!
Try running Memtest86 free edition before you do anything hardware changes. https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

Apr 15, 2020
Try running Memtest86 free edition before you do anything hardware changes. https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

Hey there. I am running memtest right now. The first tests last night with 2 RAM sticks brought up 10,000+ errors at which point the test ended.

This morning im trying the sticks individually. The first stick ran 4 passes with 0 errors.

I swapped it for the second stick and got 412 errors by test7 on 1st pass. Both sticks at the same time had 4423 errors at this point.

I tried the seemingly good stick in the next slot and got 0 errors with 4 passes. I tried the seemingly bad stick in the second slot and couldnt pass the checking cpu/cache/memory part loading up memtest.

Is the problem obvious? A faulty ram stick?

Last edited:
Hey there. I am running memtest right now. The first tests last night with 2 RAM sticks brought up 10,000+ errors at which point the test ended.

This morning im trying the sticks individually. The first stick ran 4 passes with 0 errors.

I swapped it for the second stick and got 412 errors by test7 on 1st pass. Both sticks at the same time had 4423 errors at this point.

I tried the seemingly good stick in the next slot and got 0 errors with 4 passes. I tried the seemingly bad stick in the second slot and couldnt pass the checking cpu/cache/memory part loading up memtest.

Is the problem obvious? A faulty ram stick?
Make sure you are testing the bad module in the slot that the good module had 0 errors in 4 passes and test the good module in the slots the bad module failed in. If you get 0 errors in 4 passes you can usually consider the module and slot to be good.

If the bad module has 0 errors when tested in one or two of the slots, but not the other slots, it could mean there is damage to the motherboard. That damage could either be from static discharge killing components on the motherboard, a failing power supply also killing components or you just need to reseat the CPU after checking for bent or broken CPU pins.

Apr 15, 2020
Make sure you are testing the bad module in the slot that the good module had 0 errors in 4 passes and test the good module in the slots the bad module failed in. If you get 0 errors in 4 passes you can usually consider the module and slot to be good.

If the bad module has 0 errors when tested in one or two of the slots, but not the other slots, it could mean there is damage to the motherboard. That damage could either be from static discharge killing components on the motherboard, a failing power supply also killing components or you just need to reseat the CPU after checking for bent or broken CPU pins.

Hey im just rerunnung memtest on the good stick rn. It got 0 errors over 4 passes in both ram slots.

The bad stick would boot memtest86 on the 1st slot recommended by mobo, and got just over 400 errors by test 7. This stick in the 2nd advised slot couldnt boot to memtest at all.

Atm, i have only the good stick in. I can run memtest with 0 errors, load recovery environment and hang around without BSOD unlike before, the problem now is a BSOD trying to boot os or safe mode. The stop code is critical process died, just this one so far. This one began appearing after my first system restore.

My plan is to create a win10 usb to repair/reinstall windows 10, as the pc is stable enough to run it. Any suggestions or ideas? Much appreciated!

My plan is to create a win10 usb to repair/reinstall windows 10, as the pc is stable enough to run it. Any suggestions or ideas? Much appreciated!
If you are getting a Blue screen and reboot when trying to boot Windows, it usually means there is an issue with the OS installation or HDD/SSD. If you are getting a black screen with a reboot or shutdown when trying to boot Windows, it likely means you likely have a damaged motherboard or hardware or as I've stated before, you need to reseat the CPU.

I would recommend not trying to repair Windows until you resolve your possible hardware issues and both modules have 0 errors.

Solution
Apr 15, 2020
If you are getting a Blue screen and reboot when trying to boot Windows, it usually means there is an issue with the OS installation or HDD/SSD. If you are getting a black screen with a reboot or shutdown when trying to boot Windows, it likely means you likely have a damaged motherboard or hardware or as I've stated before, you need to reseat the CPU.

I would recommend not trying to repair Windows until you resolve your possible hardware issues and both modules have 0 errors.

The black screen happened with the bad stick in slot 1 and the good stick in slot 2. Only the good stick is in slot 1 now and i get no black screens only the bsod when attempting to boot os. Has this isolated my hardware issue?

The black screen happened with the bad stick in slot 1 and the good stick in slot 2. Only the good stick is in slot 1 now and i get no black screens only the bsod when attempting to boot os. Has this isolated my hardware issue?
When testing with memtest86, if you get 0 errors with the good module in the slot the bad module was just in, then you very likely have a faulty module. You should try to get the kit replaced through an RMA with the manufacturer if you can't return it to the seller for a replacement. If the system was a prebuilt like a Dell or HP, you will have to contact them for replacement.

Apr 15, 2020
When testing with memtest86, if you get 0 errors with the good module in the slot the bad module was just in, then you very likely have a faulty module. You should try to get the kit replaced through an RMA with the manufacturer if you can't return it to the seller for a replacement. If the system was a prebuilt like a Dell or HP, you will have to contact them for replacement.

Hey thanks for your assistance on this issue. Luckily i placed a third spare ssd in my case when i built it. I installed windows 10 to it and booted up normally, experienced no bsods. Did virus scan and backed up files from original os drive.

Currently i am re installing windows 10 on the original drive. After this ill restore my files then go through updating drivers etc. My new ram sticks will arrive in five days and i will RMA the old ones.

Are there additional steps i might be missing out on? Thank you again for your time

Umb

Aug 26, 2019
Hey did u solved this? Because I'm having kinda the same problem. Freezes and bsod with two different mobo and ram set. On the last one one stick can even finish the memtest. Currently testing the other one but the problem is the same ad the old configuration. Freezing without bsod. I'm staring to think it may be the cpu..

TRENDING THREADS