restart question MS vs msconfig

It seems to me that the ReStart command to XP should produce the same
result no matter how the command was issued. But I find that it does
not. When I am in msconfig and click on the ReStart button, all goes
well; when I manually go to Start>Shutdown>Restart the computer gets
as far as 'Windows is shutting down' and hangs.

If these identical goals are requested, why the difference in the
response? Is there some way for me to use this difference to find out
what is causing the shutdown/restart problem my computer has?

Thank you.

"Opsimath" <castalides@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> It seems to me that the ReStart command to XP should produce the same
> result no matter how the command was issued. But I find that it does
> not. When I am in msconfig and click on the ReStart button, all goes
> well; when I manually go to Start>Shutdown>Restart the computer gets
> as far as 'Windows is shutting down' and hangs.
>
> If these identical goals are requested, why the difference in the
> response? Is there some way for me to use this difference to find out
> what is causing the shutdown/restart problem my computer has?
>
> Thank you.

For help with shutdown problems see
http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 19:26:16 -0500, "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP"
<franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote:

|"Opsimath" <castalides@yahoo.com> wrote in message
|> It seems to me that the ReStart command to XP should produce the
same
|> result no matter how the command was issued. But I find that it
does
|> not. When I am in msconfig and click on the ReStart button, all
goes
|> well; when I manually go to Start>Shutdown>Restart the computer
gets
|> as far as 'Windows is shutting down' and hangs.
|>
|> If these identical goals are requested, why the difference in the
|> response? Is there some way for me to use this difference to find
out
|> what is causing the shutdown/restart problem my computer has?
|>
|> Thank you.
|
|For help with shutdown problems see
|http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm

Wonderful ... got the same answer in the Disney group. Any straight
talkers here?

And what have you done in msconfig "before" you issue the restart command?

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"Opsimath" <castalides@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> It seems to me that the ReStart command to XP should produce the same
> result no matter how the command was issued. But I find that it does
> not. When I am in msconfig and click on the ReStart button, all goes
> well; when I manually go to Start>Shutdown>Restart the computer gets
> as far as 'Windows is shutting down' and hangs.
>
> If these identical goals are requested, why the difference in the
> response? Is there some way for me to use this difference to find out
> what is causing the shutdown/restart problem my computer has?
>
> Thank you.

You received a good answer. Troubleshoot as to why your shutdown isn't
working the way it should. You have problems, and they are not "because" of
shutdown. Shutdown is not functioning because "something else" is
interfering with it.

--

> On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 19:26:16 -0500, "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP"
> <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote:
>
> |"Opsimath" <castalides@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> |> It seems to me that the ReStart command to XP should produce the
> same
> |> result no matter how the command was issued. But I find that it
> does
> |> not. When I am in msconfig and click on the ReStart button, all
> goes
> |> well; when I manually go to Start>Shutdown>Restart the computer
> gets
> |> as far as 'Windows is shutting down' and hangs.
> |>
> |> If these identical goals are requested, why the difference in the
> |> response? Is there some way for me to use this difference to find
> out
> |> what is causing the shutdown/restart problem my computer has?
> |>
> |> Thank you.
> |
> |For help with shutdown problems see
> |http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm
>>
> Wonderful ... got the same answer in the Disney group. Any straight
> talkers here?

kelly

Hi,

You will notice this in many areas of Windows, including Msconfig (after
making a change and it wants you to restart), manually making registry edits
and especially gpedit. You can better note the actions via regmon.

An example would be that you could create an edit or script manually that
needs either explorer.exe to end/restart and/or a reboot that F5 won't
resolve, yet using gpedit to apply the same modification needs no outside
manipulation at all to have the setting applied.

So in other words, Windows uses the refresh, restart code a bit differently
than shutdown/restart.

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)