[SOLVED] Restarting after upgrade

Jan 16, 2021
I have just upgraded from an i5-6600k with Z170-p to a Ryzen 5 5600x with X570-p with a gtx 1070 FE. Whenever I play dead by daylight or halo or launch amazon prime video, my PC restarts itself. When I tried yesterday, I was able to play dbd for 40 minutes at one point but every other time it has restarted within 3 minutes. I have no idea why as more demanding games like cyberpunk, shadow of the tomb raider and horizon zero dawn work without issue and everything else works just fine. I have tried upgrading my PSU from a corsair VS550 to a TX750M and slightly downclocking my gpu and is still restarting. If anyone has any ideas then please tell me.

Solution
Turns out the fix was just to update from V2606 the minimum that supports zen 3 to V3402 and I feel extremely stupid for not thinking of that but thanks for the help anyway.

USAFRet

Titan

DSzymborski

Titan
No. Before I upgraded I had a feeling I would have to but when I saw that basically everything was working fine, I didn't bother.

Usually, when cutting corners fails, it has a tendency to pop up at the most inconvenient time! There may be something else going on instead, but until we eliminate the old OS install that was slapped onto the new hardware, it's futile to diagnose further.

It's a bit like buying a new refrigerator and when you transfer the food in your old fridge to the new one, also bringing over the tupperware full of mystery pasta, the half-filled jar of mustard that expired in 2012, and the maple syrup spill that didn't quite come off the old one.

USAFRet

Titan
Well I know what I'm doing tonight. I have 2 hard drives as well as my OS SSD, I take it I can just transfer my important stuff and games there without issue.
Depends what you mean by "important stuff", and where is it.

The new Windows install needs to be done with only that one drive connected.
All on it will be wiped out.
So, you prepare.
Whatever critical personal data is on it, you copy to elsewhere. Files, not applications.

You will also be reinstalling all your drivers, applications, etc.

Later, you reconnect the old drives.
What is on them, specifically?

DSzymborski

Titan
Yeah, please have a backup plan that's running 24/7/365. The saddest threads here are from people that had important documents and irreplaceable family photos that they didn't back up properly and come here asking for help. And we have to essentially tell them, in most cases, that the solution is to either pay $1000 to possibly get their files back or accept that they're gone.

Jan 16, 2021
Depends what you mean by "important stuff", and where is it.

The new Windows install needs to be done with only that one drive connected.
All on it will be wiped out.
So, you prepare.
Whatever critical personal data is on it, you copy to elsewhere. Files, not applications.

You will also be reinstalling all your drivers, applications, etc.

Later, you reconnect the old drives.
What is on them, specifically?
Most of my important stuff is uni work although I think that's been uploaded to one drive. I'm pretty sure all I've got on my hard drives is games.

Jan 16, 2021
OK...So now we've eliminated a typical point of fail. $0.

What indications do you get just before this 'restart'?

Are all the BIOS settings at stock? No overclock, underclock, default voltages, etc, etc.
Its basically as if I hit the reset switch on my case. I've altered the fan speeds and set the memory to its rated speed but i havent done anything else

Jan 16, 2021
Turns out the fix was just to update from V2606 the minimum that supports zen 3 to V3402 and I feel extremely stupid for not thinking of that but thanks for the help anyway.

Solution