Question Restarting, freezing, BSOD, etc.

Mar 13, 2020
Hello,

I have been having issues recently with my rig.

I’ve posted to Microsoft forum before as I thought it was a Win issue at first, but I’ve done basically everything they’ve suggested and nothing helped.

I’ve done a clean install of windows, updated all drivers, bios, crucial memory test showed no problems, smart and short generic test showed no problems with ssd or hdd, did chkdsk, sfc scan - also no problems.

The issues are the following:
  1. Randomly disconnecting all peripherals and therefore forcing me to restart PC, or it restarts itself after this happens
  2. Restarting itself
  3. PC fully freezes (not just visually, music also stops playing, mouse won’t move), it won’t unfreeze and I am forced to turn it off by pushing a button manually
  4. BSOD - generally memory management or system service exception

I haven’t ran a memtest yet as I am unable to access my PC until tomorrow.
My bet is the motherboard dying but I figured you might be able to give me a bit more guidance as to what I should maybe try before I order a new part.

I’ve had the 3. and 4. (freezing + bsod) issue before, but after reseating my rams and rewiring ssd it seemingly stopped for a few months.

Thanks in advance.

I would certainly run a memtest because of memory instability issues can cause that but I would look at your PSU. What is your PSU brand and model? Faulty PSU will cause the issues you have.

Do the memtest first. Leave it for a couple hours. If you see 1 error your RAM are faulty.

Mar 13, 2020
I would certainly run a memtest because of memory instability issues can cause that but I would look at your PSU. What is your PSU brand and model? Faulty PSU will cause the issues you have.

Do the memtest first. Leave it for a couple hours. If you see 1 error your RAM are faulty.

Hi, yeah I plan to, but as I said, crucial memory test nor windows mem diagnostics showed any problems.

My PSU is Corsair VS 650W, so not the most terrible.

I’ve been thinking about PSU as well, just doesn’t quite add up to the whole peripherals disconnecting (monitors are still connected, so generally mouse, keyboard get disconnected)

I don’t think it’s RAMs, but I’ll report back nonetheless,

The best test for RAM is memtest. That's why it takes hours and sometime people leave it all night just to be sure.

Your PSU. That Corsair VS series. Which one is it? Is it the one where the "VS" is orange lettering or is it the one with the black lettering on white font?

If it's the orange one then it's an old model and not very good at that. This could possibly be your issue.

It sure look like it's a PSU failing.

Mar 13, 2020
Been running memtest (4 passes so far and no error)
I’ll let it do 8, but honestly doubt it’s RAMs

any other suggestions?
I thought MOBO would be the most likely culprit because of the whole keyboard + mouse disconnecting, while monitors stay connected.

My specs (won’t tell u the exact models because I’m at work with no access to the PC)
MSI pc pro z370
Intel i7 8700k (not oc’d)
MSI Gaming Trio 1080ti (not oc’d either)
HyperX predator 16gb (8x2)
Corsair VS 650W (I’m not aware whether it has multiple versions)
Samsung Evo 250gb
some random 1tb hdd

Mar 13, 2020
Check event viewer around the time of freezing or run a mini dump viewer if you blue screen, maybe narrow down the issue.

This is probably the most concrete describing I am able to make, event viewer nor nimsoft bsod software show anything reasonable.
I’m mostly looking into hardware testing

Mar 13, 2020
The best test for RAM is memtest. That's why it takes hours and sometime people leave it all night just to be sure.

Your PSU. That Corsair VS series. Which one is it? Is it the one where the "VS" is orange lettering or is it the one with the black lettering on white font?

If it's the orange one then it's an old model and not very good at that. This could possibly be your issue.

It sure look like it's a PSU failing.

Bought a new PSU and the issue occurred again after like 5 days. (I got a full PC freeze)