[SOLVED] Restarting in Safe Mode gave me BSoD

Apr 27, 2020
I tried to boot my PC in Safe Mode through msconfig and after pressing OK it restarted and gives me a BSoD that says WDF violation, and when I try to use startup repair, it gives me a message that says log file: C:\windows\system32\logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt. I tried to restore my pc but the restoration failed apparently and now that restoration point was deleted. I also just can't even boot into safe mode. Any help is much appreciated.

Solution
What led you to needing to boot into Safe mode?

WDF = Windows Driver Foundation. Its where windows stores its drivers, and so I guess a windows default driver is broken and its why safe mode won't work.

Most times I see
C:\windows\system32\logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt.
in a thread, the best answer is a clean install. It actually is the fastest answer and many ways to fix that don't often work. Especially if you can't get into safe mode.

If you don't have an installer now (its a handy boot disk) - On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

is there anything on PC you want to save? At least, on the boot drive as any extra drives will be ignored.
boot from...

Colif

Win 11 Master

WDF = Windows Driver Foundation. Its where windows stores its drivers, and so I guess a windows default driver is broken and its why safe mode won't work.

Most times I see
C:\windows\system32\logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt.
in a thread, the best answer is a clean install. It actually is the fastest answer and many ways to fix that don't often work. Especially if you can't get into safe mode.

If you don't have an installer now (its a handy boot disk) - On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

is there anything on PC you want to save? At least, on the boot drive as any extra drives will be ignored.
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd

Once you copied everything off boot drive, that you want to keep
boot from installer
follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Solution
Apr 27, 2020

Most times I see

boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd

Once you copied everything off boot drive, that you want to keep
boot from installer
follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

I actually just ended up resetting my computer anyway earlier today after about 4 hours of no success, and that worked as well as it could've thankfully. I appreciate the answer though, as this will definitely be handy for the future. Thanks!