[SOLVED] Restarting problem

CronoInferno

Commendable
Oct 18, 2020
I downloaded the windows new update and its all a bit buggy, my audio sometimes glitches out, and for some reason every time I try to restart from the os it just gets stuck on the restarting screen. I've also had other problems but they will not be in they will not be linked to this one

Solution
when windows attempts to restart it will tell all the various apps to shutdown and windows will wait. Some apps just never respond and some apps will tell windows not to shut down. you can set a registry key to force windows to tell you what it is doing during the restart attempt. This can help you find out why it refused or did not shut down.
you can google "enable windows verbose logging" for instructions or look here:
Enable Verbose or Highly Detailed Status Messages in Windows 10 (thewindowsclub.com)

oh, do not worry too much about ccleaner messages it can find a lot of entries that are there for software you never used
or are just defaults values just so the key is there for programs to check for settings.

CronoInferno

Commendable
Oct 18, 2020
The command prompt finished with this message
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.

It’s up and running now but a load of my apps icons just turnt into normal exe icons

Hmm, not sure why that would be. Might take a restart or two. Have you HDD or SSD. Might be worth doin a check on the drive. I guess its possible the corrupt/missing files are causing that issue. It might be worth re-installing windows (but I know how much of a pain that is.)

Asides from the missing icons, is it working better?

CronoInferno

Commendable
Oct 18, 2020
Hmm, not sure why that would be. Might take a restart or two. Have you HDD or SSD. Might be worth doin a check on the drive. I guess its possible the corrupt/missing files are causing that issue. It might be worth re-installing windows (but I know how much of a pain that is.)

Asides from the missing icons, is it working better?
All the file locations look different, I see a load of dll files, there are a few that are normal but a load just turnt into normal exe icons and I cant find the pictures for their icons

CronoInferno

Commendable
Oct 18, 2020
Sorry, I was travelling home from work. Yes, thats the idea. It finds these issues with missing files, old dll files etc. These can interfere with your OS. Running CCleaner once a month keeps things nice and tidy.

I'm glad it's sorted itself out. Everything okay now?
Yes thank you sooooooooo so much for the help! The file locations for apps are still messed up but the icons are there :)

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead