Restarting to Upgrade to Windows 10 but nothing happens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koemas

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2014
Initially it told me Windows 10 was ready to download and I kept getting an error. I deleted files in C:Windows/Software Distribution and it downloaded fine. Since I was being prompted to download 10 immediately with a restart (didn't see an option to cancel/wait) I re-deleted the files in software.

The Windows 10 icon, however, tells me Windows is downloading and Windows Update is telling me to restart. Deciding to give in and just upgrade, I did. When I do, however, it restarts normally and windows update tells me to restart again. I think it has something to do with the files I deleted above. Is there a way to fix this? I probably did something stupid and at this point I'd be fine with upgrading to Windows 10 to fix all of this.

Thank you.

Solution
You can try using system restore if you can get into the recovery options which is really annoying to get a hold of in windows 8 and 8.1.

If that doesn't work than:

1) Go on here and download the tool... 32 or 64bit make sure you download right one
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

2) Run the program and it will give you two options
Select "Create installation media for another PC"

3) Click next select everything you need to (version of windows, 32 or 64 etc...)

4) click next and it will create the boot-able usb.

5)Plug that into your desktop or laptop

6) On start-up spam the F12 Key until boot menu pops up

7) Select your USB to boot from

8) Once booted click next until you get to the screen where...

GamingMaster

Reputable
Sep 21, 2014
once Windows 10 has been downloaded don't delete the files from that folder. Only delete it before you try to download Windows 10 and ONLY if your getting some error and its not downloading or something. So basically, delete files from folder, start the upgrade process and from than on don't do anything with that folder... let it be. Don't re-delete any files.

Koemas

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2014

I stupidly already deleted the files after they have downloaded and now am stuck in the restarting loop.

Just to clarify, nothing is being downloaded the second go around. Update is only telling me to restart.

Koemas

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2014

I can.

Also, would reverting via system restore be an option to resolving this?

GamingMaster

Reputable
Sep 21, 2014
You can try using system restore if you can get into the recovery options which is really annoying to get a hold of in windows 8 and 8.1.

If that doesn't work than:

1) Go on here and download the tool... 32 or 64bit make sure you download right one
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

2) Run the program and it will give you two options
Select "Create installation media for another PC"

3) Click next select everything you need to (version of windows, 32 or 64 etc...)

4) click next and it will create the boot-able usb.

5)Plug that into your desktop or laptop

6) On start-up spam the F12 Key until boot menu pops up

7) Select your USB to boot from

8) Once booted click next until you get to the screen where there are two options
1)Upgrade
2) Custom
don't remember exactly what it says my apologies.

9) Select custom

10) select the hard drive you want to install it on and click next. Than windows will start installing...

note** Now whenever I install windows I always format my hard drive and re-partitions to get rid of the junk files so I have a fresh install... I'am not sure what will happen to your data if you don't format it. Either windows will get rid of it or move it to another folder. Hope you don't have any important data on there.

Solution

Koemas

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2014

System restore did the trick. Still can't stop Windows 10 from downloading but at least everything update works normally again.

GamingMaster

Reputable
Sep 21, 2014

Do you not want to upgrade to windows 10 at all?

Koemas

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2014

I did not, but Windows Update's restart message would not go anyway. It also prevented me from downloading any future updates for Windows 7 which I'd imagine would cause problems in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.