Date: 1/9/2010 1:20:26 AM
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: John-PC
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>2</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-01-09T06:20:26.883225100Z" />
<EventRecordID>1583</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>John-PC</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Ok, I've had vista x64 installed and it worked perfectly fine for a year or so, I installed w7 beta and it ran great so I bought the retail version, before I installed the retail version the beta started restarting for no reason, I figured it was a bug of some sort and decided to Install the retail version. Now the retail version is doing it too, I have run memtest86 for 3 hours with no errors.installed a new hard drive so I don't think thats the problem. I have removed and reinstalled the memory into different slots and that didn't help. I sit and watch my power supply output in amd overdrive and there are no fluxuations.
It only seems to do it when the PC sits Idle for a while, no BSOD. Sometimes the screensaver will be on and when I move the mouse it just goes black then I see the POST Screen. All system temps are well within specs. The only other recent change to my system was an upgrade to a HD5770. I have verified that I have all the latest drivers and even tried reverting back to older ones with no luck. I have also ran various stability test programs and none show any hardware errors.

capnmorgan

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
It's an ultra xconnect 500w. I don't think the psu is the problem, it never restarts when under load, only when Idle. I play games for hours with no probs but if I leave it Idle it restarts every 30 mins. I have disabled all cpu throttle control and power management and I'm going to leave it idle and see what happens.

capnmorgan

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
PC Specs.
Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P
AMD Phenom II 940
Saphire Radeon HD5770
2X4Gb OCZ Vista Upgrade Edition PC2 6400
1X500Gb WD Green HD sata
4X250Gb Hitachi HD sata
HP DVD/CD Writer IDE
OCZ Vanquisher CPU Cooler
TT V9 Black Case
Generac USB Multi Card Reader.

All voltages stay rock solid. 12v never goes below 12.35 volts. Nothing is OCed. I have found alot of people with similar probs but no good answers. I have to say I think it is hardware related because it was fine for a while and now after clean install it still does it. But how do I figure out what it is?

vvhocare5

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
no good answers here capn....

Check all of the sources - the reset button, the physical connections on the mb - and then check again. Unplug them and plug back in.
Run memtest (I agree if games are ok its not likely to be RAM).
Reseat everything.
Remove items if you can (hard to get it to do anything useful without these parts, but try)
The issue is you have an intermittant problem and getting it to show is painful.

If nothing helps, start replacing the least costly parts.

PSU would be my first choice-could be a momentary voltage drop or spike. They are always my first thing to replace - they do age poorly.
Then begin looking at what you need to replace.

We all go through this and we all have boxes of spare parts as a result.

capnmorgan

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
OK, I disabled AMD Smart Control in bios and All power features in windows(sleep, hibernation,turn monitor off, hard disk off, etc..) and it hasn't done it since.

I'm going to re enable the funtions one at a time until it spontaniously reboots again.

I'll post my results and a cure if I can find one.

capnmorgan

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
it stays solid at 12.35v unless I OC. With my cpu @ 3.4ghz and Gpu @930mhz it will drop to 12.09v

I have started enableing windows power features and no probs yet. I wish I would have systematicly disabled options instead of just turning everything off, now I have to wait and see if it will restart after every option is turned back on lol.

I think the problem is with cpu throttleing, I found a thread on microsofts website that suggests that to be the problem. But if so why did it work fine for so long before having this problem. Maybee one of Microsofts updates?Or maybee a hardware issue with the cpu itself?
I really hate to leave the cpu features disabled, it upped my Idle temp by 8 degrees Celcius to almost 40c.