Restarts occuring when copying or moving larger files

wexdavid

Commendable
Sep 10, 2016
Dear Tom's Hardware community,

I've been having an issue with my PC since more than 6 months, and it drives me crazy.
90% of times when I copy (or move) files (be it on my hdd, or from pen drive - it doesn't matter what the source is), my PC either completely freezes (10-20% of the cases), or just suddenly restarts itself, like when you press the restart button. It boots up without any problems, and works normally after the restart, but as soon as I try operating with bigger files, a restart is very likely to happen. Temperatures are OK. I even re-installed the whole OS, but the problem still persists.

My hardware:

Asus P5K Pro
Intel Xeon X5460
nVidia GeForce GTS 450 (with dual monitor setup)
6GB DDR2 RAM
1TB WD HDD
Windows 10 Pro x64

Any idea is welcome!
Thank you very much in advance!!

Solution

Doubtful it is the GPU on its own.

It may be a combination of the GPU, and the unsupported CPU on that motherboard.

What error messages do you get? What is in the error log?

wexdavid

Commendable
Sep 10, 2016
That's true. However, I have this processor since 2013, and it was working well without any issues until now. That's why I couldn't think it's the processor which is causing the trouble.

USAFRet

Titan

So, what was the last thing you did before this started?
6 months later, you probably do not remember. But whatever that was...that is the issue.

USAFRet

Titan

Doubtful it is the GPU on its own.

It may be a combination of the GPU, and the unsupported CPU on that motherboard.

What error messages do you get? What is in the error log?

Solution