hartono

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2004
Hi everyone,

My computers keeps restarting, most of the time when I play games (after around 20 minutes) and sometimes (quite rarely) it restarts 2 or 3 times while booting on windows logo (it just restarts 3 times in a minute before going 'normal'). What might be the cause? I'm pretty sure it is a h/w problem, possibly memory or power supply. Sometimes I get an alert from Intel stating that the 12v went down to 10.5.

I called a repairman yesterday for the previous problem, he lend me a 256 (333) memory to replace one of my 2 x 256 (400) and it solved my previous problem where it crashes during the game, now it restarts suddenly. May it be my other 256 (400) memory?

I'm currently very tired operating this computer, problems keep coming. It broke down for the 5th times these 3 months... First vga, then power, then mobo, then memory... For your information, almost every h/w in my comp is just 3 months old and none overclocked. I also plugged the power to my vga

Thanks for the answer

---------------------

Intel P 3HT D865PERL
256 (400) - 256 (333)
Elsa 980 FX 9800 PRO

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You're right to suspect memory and power, and if the 12v drop to 10.5v is right, you know what to do.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

hartono

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2004
Crashman,

I don't know whether the power supply is the main cause or not since it is quite new. How to calculate the power I need? My previous supply was replaced 3 months ago, the last one broke down. Since the seller is my friend and I don't know how much power my pc need, he just sold me a new one. I don't even know how much power it supplies :) So, can you calculate it for me?

Here's my pc:
- Intel P4 3G HT D865PERL
- 2 x 256 (400MHz)
- Elsa 980 FX 9800 PRO
- 3 year old HDD 20G
- Audigy 2 ZS
- Floppy
- 3 additional fan
- DVD ROM 16x
- CD RW 52x 24x 52x

How to calculate it by the way? And if the power supply is the cause, is it broken down, or 'not enough power'?

Thanks...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
A secret between you and me: Any attempt to calculate the power you need will only mislead you, because power supply ratings are more of a guess than a science (no two manufacturers do it exactly the same). What you need is a good quality 400W power supply minimally, and since I don't go for the miminum, I'd say 450W. Low quality power supplies are questionable, even if they put out enough power for a while they can suddenly quit or get weak.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

hartono

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2004
Thanks for all the replies. Today, I tried to unplug 1 memory 256 - 333MHz that the seller lent me, and it doesn't restart anymore, at least until now. It's kind of weird though, since the memory unplugged is a new one from the box. If this is really the problem, does it means that my computer cannot support 2 different speed memory? (400 MHz with 333 MHz)

I make sure that it is operating in single channel. Yesterday when I use 400 MHz with 333 MHz, it still works as dual channel even though the speeds are different.

Yes, but they at least give you an idea of what wattage PSU to be looking at.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
All your memory will run the same speed. With PC3200 (DDR400) and PC2700 (DDR333) in your system, both modules will run at DDR333 (166MHz with 2x transfers).

It sounds like you're getting some memory that doesn't operate properly at its rated speed.