Restaurant Networking to payment island over wireless

tpssource

Honorable
Jul 2, 2013
I am providing payment processing via ethernet ports on two credit card machines and want to connect them to the connection in the office about 60 feet away . They do not want cables ran to island. I first tried to install the powerline adapter kit and could not get it to connect . I am now trying a range extender to the island and i will be hooking the devices to it . Any suggestions or help ?

tpssource

Honorable
Jul 2, 2013
The equipment has all the security measures in place just need to make sure the wireless equipment is set with security measures . can this be done and will it work correctly

dingo07

Distinguished
yes, of course it can be done... but depending on the hardware to build the link, it can be costly

is it inside a building, is it in another building, are there obstructions, what protocol do you want to create the link in

OR do you just want to set up a wireless access point with an off the shelf device like a dlink or linksys...

tpssource

Honorable
Jul 2, 2013
The have a Linksys Cisco wireless router 2.9 mh in one buiding the office is enclosed but the rest of restaurant is open . I have a Netgear Universal Dual Band WiFi Range Extender 4-port adapter to use

tpssource

Honorable
Jul 2, 2013
Yes i did tell them but they do not want the expense of running wires . They are using comcast digital lines is the reason for all the problems . The machines are set up for analog systems and will not work correctly so i suggested internet as they do not want to change from comcast

dingo07

Distinguished
ask them if they know the cost of an attorney when someone files suit against them for providing an un-secure network which ended in an identity theft at the very least- and if they want to risk that

I bet you'll be running wires after that

That does sound like trouble. What happens if you lose the wireless connection briefly? Say you get heavy RF interference from a vehicle? Are these devices saving the transactions locally?

The devices may have security measures, but what about the signal? What will a packet sniffer reveal? Do you want to be responsible for that guy parked across the street getting credit card numbers?

Seems to me that a dedicated wireless bridge might be the most secure.

dingo07

Distinguished
you're going to need some serious power to get a decent signal when devices are 60 feet away through an office building and across the street

the gear you have will not work (I doubt highly you'll have signal strength greater than 50dB) which is on the bring of losing link

This should have nothing to do with your DSL connection. You should have a main router connected to your modem. You will then have one end of the bridge connected to the router via cable, and that bridge will be line-of-site with the other end of the bridge. If you are really savvy, you can do much the same thing with a couple old Linksys routers and DD-WRT.

dingo07

Distinguished
I agree with the method provided by Proximon, however that one in particular will be too slow (IMO) should both machines need to communicate simultaneously - I suggest one that is at least Wireless N speeds

in addition to employees using bandwidth with their idevices and android panels