Restore a user account from files in the users folder

cjreynolds

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013
I just ran a secedit command recommended by someone at the MS Technet forum to restore the default security settings for all of the folders in Vista. I ran it from my admin account. They didn't tell me it would blow away my user account. Now I have only my admin account. All of the missing user account's files are still in the users folder, just like before, but there is no account.

I'm thinking I could restore the account by renaming the users\carl folder ('carl' was the name of the missing account), creating a new 'carl' account, and copying all of the files from the renamed folder into the new users\carl folder. Would that also include the profile settings, or are they in a different location? Would this method restore my account to it's previous glory?

Thanks,

joe

It will come close to that but the Profile will be the new one created by starting a new account. I don't think you need to rename the files - just copy and paste. Tame the AppData folder over as well - open up to see Hidden and Protected files and folders to be able to see that folder.. When prompted in the new folder that certain folders already exist, select to overwrite them.