[SOLVED] Restore default program association to "unknown"

Dec 26, 2019
So I've accidentally opened a .config file with VLC Media Player and Notepad as default and I can't remove them (Windows 7 suck with this feature). I did remove the notepad using registry editor, but VLC keeps coming back although I've deleted it from the regedit already. When I open the file, it opens with VLC, no matter what. Any fix?

Dec 26, 2019
Within VLC media player interface (in the menus somewhere) there should be a list of filetype associations to tick or untick. Can't be more specific as I don't have it installed, but I used to have it and I remember it had that list.
Doesn't work, it only shows all media files that are supported by VLC, not all files associated to it.

Phillip Corcoran

Titan
Is that the only issue now (just the wrong icon) or it still opens with VLC?

If it's just the wrong icon, you can change that by right-click on it and choose Properties, click on the Shortcut tab, click Change Icon :

Reactions: DeAdLyWaRrIoR07
Dec 26, 2019
Is that the only issue now (just the wrong icon) or it still opens with VLC?

If it's just the wrong icon, you can change that by right-click on it and choose Properties, click on the Shortcut tab, click Change Icon :

It still opens with VLC after I've removed all other applications in the "Open with" section. It also changes the icon to VLC.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS