Question Restore Paging File to Default Fresh windows install size

Apr 19, 2019
like title, i want know if there is a way to restore the page file like a windows fresh install ... now is more bigger then usual because i played some games with serious memory leaks, usually it was around 3 gb now it's around 9, isn't a big issue ok, but i want know if i can "restore" it to a default size without setting it manually or without formatting .

i tried to delete it or move to another disk, but if i enable it again it's always the same size...

i tried also clear page file on shutdown through policies, but it's always 9gb now .

i have 16gb of ram, and i think 9 gb of page file are excessive? or not? XD

Thank you for any answer.

Colif

Win 11 Master
According to a guide

The minimum and maximum size of the Pagefile can be up to 1.5 times and 4 times of the physical memory that your computer has, respectively. For example, if your computer has 1GB of RAM, the minimum Pagefile size can be 1.5GB, and the maximum size of the file can be 4GB.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-to-manage-virtual-memory-pagefile-windows-10,36929.html

So given you have 16gb, the max size could be anything up to 64gb of ram, suddenly making your 9 look almost tiny. According to same guide you should have a minimum 24gb page file but in reality. Windows hardly ever uses the page file and only if the games have the same memory leaks will it use all that.

as colgeek said, if its set to auto now, leave it as it. It will only use what it needs.

Apr 19, 2019
ok but i remember usually if i restart the pc it lower alone, and increase when it need, if i set custom size it work like this. but i had a crash last night then i'm back to manage in auto... but now it will remain 9gb always... i know i haven't to worry about this, but i prefer when it lowering alone XD and increase when it need.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Its likely to drop over time, windows doesn't know what you are going to run next, it just guesstimates based on previous usage. So if you never use that much again, its likely to reduce its size

how big is your boot drive? 9gb isn't that big really?