Restore system image from windows 8.1 32-bit to 64-bit on the same machine.

gondorion

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012
Hi,

I have Windows 8.1 32-bit installed on a machine with a 64-bit capable processor. Why? Because I'm stupid. Now I want to be less stupid and reinstall a copy of windows 8.1 64-bit in order to take full advantage of my processor and memory.

I have all my files saved, but I want to take a system image, and then restore it to the 64-bit OS to save me the hassle of reinstalling all my programs one by one.

So I'm installing windows 8.1 64-bit to the same machine with the same specs, and i want to restore a system image that comes from the same OS version, (32-bit, being the only difference.).

Is this the correct way to do it? would I run into trouble because of the bit difference?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
You are better off copying all of your data to an external hard drive from your 32-bit OS. Then transferring it over from your external drive to the 64-bit OS once it has been installed

If you restore the 32-bit system image on a 64-bit OS, it will overwrite the OS and change it back to 32-bit

Reyaz123

Admirable
You are better off copying all of your data to an external hard drive from your 32-bit OS. Then transferring it over from your external drive to the 64-bit OS once it has been installed

If you restore the 32-bit system image on a 64-bit OS, it will overwrite the OS and change it back to 32-bit

Solution

gondorion

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012

Yeah, reading your answer and other answers to similar questions, I see there's no "easy" way to do it. What I wanted was an easier way to restore all my system settings and programs installed without having to installed them one by one, but well, I guess that's the way to go.

Thanks for your answer.

Reyaz123

Admirable
No problem. But keep in mind that if you were transferring a 32-bit os to another 32-bit os, the settings can be saved.

Think of it like this: 32-bit ---> 64-bit is like an entire fresh install of Windows. Only files transferred from a external drive (not a disc image) are guaranteed to be transferred over, settings cannot be transferred because registry info has to be transferred too (even if they do get transferred, there may be problems like the system cannot boot)

Hope this helps.

-Reyaz

gondorion

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012

Got it. Thanks again for helping me figure it out.