Restore user priveleges

You need to provide more details, please.

What privileges (file access, writing to a drive, acting as administrator)?
You said "restore." How did they go away? Did the administrator repeal them? Is there an admin, or is this your personal machine?

Any more detail as to what the problem is and how it worked before will be helpful.

llilapinord

Reputable
Aug 6, 2015

llilapinord

Reputable
Aug 6, 2015
The file was created on an older WORD program on an older computer. I have recovered files like this before - from my external hard drive. But this time it wouldn't open at all. "you do not have access privileges". Another time it said I had to be administer. I AM Administer and owner of this computer.
That's the first time this has happened. I've tried everything to do this, to no avail.
I'm a writer and to meet the deadline, I had to rewrite the document - so time consuming.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
PS it was created in Windows 7 and I now use Windows 8, but that shouldn't make a difference.

No, but it was created on a different computer and all the file privileges are loused up because they point to registry entries that don't exist on the new machine. Using a directory system created on one machine on another machine can cause havoc with file permissions.

My first suggestion is to use your admin account to either take possession of it or change its access to allow full control to everyone.

I've had this problem before. Even if the file belongs to the user "fred" on the old machine, that doesn't correspond to the user "fred" on the new machine. My personal technique for getting around this is to use old drives as external drives and copy files onto the new machine as the user who will be using them.

llilapinord

Reputable
Aug 6, 2015

llilapinord

Reputable
Aug 6, 2015
My external hard drive usually has copies of everything and I've been able to recover them until now!
I have used my Administer account to try this. It is just plain ol' stubborn.
Thanks for the suggestions anyway.
Someday, maybe....