Restore Windows XP settings after system32/config/** file corrupt

kumar123

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Hi, my windows xp today flashed the system32/config/*** (some file name starting with letter n) is missing or corrupt. I have dual boot system so I just booted to second OS and replaced the first OS system32/config folder files with the second OS system files. Now it is showing two administrator folders in Documents and Settings folder - one with Administrator and another with Administrator."MyComputerName" - and some programs (like Chrome IE) are using this folder to run which do not seem to retrieve user data files. Also, I do not see any programs installed in "Add or Remove Programs" in Control Panel.
Have I done an irreversible damage to the system?

Hi

I hope you have some system restore points on your C: drive in corrupted partition
The folders will have dates marked

you want the registry files just before the date the problems started

If your other os is Windows (dual boot with what ??)
you want some thing which will ignore Windows file permissions

maybe Parted Magic Linux ISO with file manager

you need to know how registry files get re named in system restore points

Since you have XP then if you have your XP CD you can build universal boot CD for Windows which has a registry restore wizard

see http://www.registryfix.net/restore-registry/

you can see this is quite complex especially if done from command prompt

boot ubcd4win and run registry restore wizard
This assumes you have XP CD and a working PC

best of luck

Mike Barnes

kumar123

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
My system is dual boot with win xp (both are xp). My system does not have any restore point. Even if I don't have restore point, is it possible to restore the system to previous settings with the procedure you just mentioned?

I believe it would be easier to copy the entire contents Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data and Local Settings>Application Data folders over into the other Administrator's folder set, overwriting the new files created by your actions. I also believe you got off extremely lightly in view of the course of action you took.

Go buy some lottery tickets - with your luck you could do quite well. :D

Dhampire01

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012
Download windows XP files from internet and burn them into a CD or put into a USB.Then when opening the PC open boot menu (usually F11) and choose the drive with the setup to boot from.Then follow the installation steps to repair the PC.You need to have your CD-KEY written (you will need it during installation) and backup all your files.
By the way,what you did was an epic FAIL.Never replace files from a different OS.

Hope this tutorial helps you if you have any problems:p http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNOQ0sCYY8s

TRENDING THREADS