Restore won't work using windows 10

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

frustrated947

Commendable
Apr 11, 2016
When I create a restores point manually. looks like it worked fine. When I try to restore to "any" point I get a response that restore could not restore files. There is no error code, just the following:
Source: %systemRoot%
Destination: ComPlusStaging

I have no idea what this means. I have C: turned on for restoring and set to 10% or about 21 gig of space.
In services i have:
Volume Shadow Copy set to automatic
Task Scheduler set to automatic
Microsft shoftware shadow copy provider service set to automatic.
I didn't see anything for system restore.
Any idea what the problem is. I may need my restore some time in the future.
Thanks
I wanted to upload a file but could not figure out how to do it.

Solution

This is normal. Part of the reason myself and others are using Rollback over WSR is that it's working with your boot manager so that's why you see it at bootup. If you press the Home key as it's loading there's a basic menu with a few cool functions. If you get a BSOD you just tap the Home key and can load into another snapshot. WSR has this as well (pre-boot options).

Glad it's working for you...

LukeFatwalker

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015

I had to play with the settings myself. Looks like it'll still make a snapshot but it won't defrag the snapshots on bootup so you might have to manually defrag from within Windows. I think it defrags on bootup to clean the snapshots up for you. I have mine on to automate the process but I think it's fine to disable you'll just want to defrag the snapshots every so often :)

Glad you like it. I learned about it a while ago at MS Ignite last year and have been using it since.

frustrated947

Commendable
Apr 11, 2016
Looks like that's the answer, I saw that myself where I could defrag it when I want. Just wanted to make sure, it does boot up faster when it's unchecked to defrag. I haven't tried a "restore" of the snapshot yet, but I'm sure it will work when I need it after I load some software that will mess with the pc drivers, etc. and cause a problem. If this works out well, I will get the "pro" version of it later on, but I need to test it first. Thanks for your help.

frustrated947

Commendable
Apr 11, 2016
Can you explain "baseline" to me with rollback rx? I don't know what that is, and also, when I re-boot, does it load the "baseline" up, or my current system restore snapshot? Thanks. Love the program, haven't tried a restore yet, I'm sure it will work ok.

LukeFatwalker

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015

It's the snapshot taken when you first install the program. So ideally you install it when there's no issues and no mtter what you can go back to it. Glad you're enjoying it, it's been one of my go-to's for the past little while.