Restored image that worked before now fails to boot

belimi

Reputable
Oct 5, 2015
I used Macrium Reflect to image my computer (full image) before when trying out different OSes to see which ones I liked better. After trying out several, I restored one of the images I took (Windows 8 OS) and used it for the next couple of years without incident.

Recently, I took the leap to Windows 10 (free upgrade), started having some serious issues (very long boot time and failure to boot) and tried to revert back to Windows 8 through the roll-back within 30 days feature in Windows 10. It crashed/froze/stopped somewhere in the middle of the process and would not successfully boot thereafter (black screen after splash screen).

I got a friend to put a linux OS on a USB so that I could still use my computer. I installed the linux OS with no issues. And it worked out for roughly 3 weeks before I decided that I needed a Windows machine for gaming purposes.

I then convinced that same friend to put a Macrium Reflect WinPE so I could restore the old image that worked the first time around. Yes, I should have taken more images but since I have almost no files worth keeping track of, I didn't really bother. Lesson learned.

The restore was supposedly successful, but I have been unable to get the computer to boot at all. Half the time, it fails to recognize that the hard drive is there at all in Bios and the other half of the time, it stalls and looks like it's trying to boot before going to a black screen and shutting off.

I'm thinking that the following are possible reasons for what I'm experiencing:

1) the image (actually 3, I tried three separate images, all of which used to work and now don't) somehow developed an issue with it during the couple years of interim between first success and current failure

2) right where some critical files are located on the images, the hard drive has developed a bad cluster

3) the hard drive is failing (however, I should note it's between 2 and 3 years old)

4) all of the above

Any thoughts?

And yes, it was quite stupid of me not to take more recent images. I shall resolve to do so in the future.

Also, I don't believe the particular specifics of this type of question has been covered before, but please excuse me if I'm wrong on that account. It looks like the usual problem doesn't have the repeat factor that mine does.

I would post more info about my computer, but I am currently away from it.

belimi

Reputable
Oct 5, 2015

I don't have the full install of win8 (it came with the laptop), and there was no disk. In addition, I don't have an optical drive (that slot is being used up by the second graphics card - it's a dual sli configuration).

In addition, there is more info now. I tried to reinstall the linux system last night (not having a computer at home is driving me slightly bonkers), and it failed. Since I'm catching a bad cold and took some medicine, I was too woozy to try it again, but given the errors I received (inability to read certain locations), I am leaning towards failing hard drive.