Restoring a Dell Dimension 2400 to factory settings

Jeffrey Siegel

Honorable
Mar 30, 2013
I have a Dell Dimension 2400. It has Windows XP with service pack 3. I want to restore it to factory settings. I have two CD-Rom that came with the computer when I purchased it from Dell. One is "OPERATING SYSTEM ALREADY INSTALLED ON YOUR COMPTER" and the other is "APPLICATION ALREADY INSTALLED ON YOUR COMPUTER". When I turn the PC on, and press F8 key, I get the WINDOWS ADVANCED OPTION SCREEN. PLEASE SELECT AN OPTION:
SAFE MODE
SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING
SAFE MODE WITH COMMAND PROMT

ENABLE BOOT LOGGING
ENABLE VGA MODE
LAST KNOWN GOOD CONFIGURATION
DIRECTORY SERVICE RESTORE MODE (Windows domain controllers only)
DEBUGGING MODE
DISABLE AUTOMATIC RESTART ON SYSTEM FAILURE
START WINDOWS NORMALLU
REBOOT

Use the up and down keys to highlight to your choice.

WHICH ONE OF THIS OPTIONS DO I USE?

Thank you...;Jeff in Toronto

The first CD will install the OS only. The second contains drivers and software. Boot the first CD and follow the prompts. When finished launch setup.exe on the second and follow the prompts. You can download the entire user's manual with instructions from the Dell website.

Jeffrey Siegel

Honorable
Mar 30, 2013
HI....Thanks for the quick response...You tell me to "boot" the first CD. I hate to ask a stupid question (but that's one of the reasons this site exists)...HOW DO I BOOT THE CD? When I put the CD into the computer which option do I select? I tried ENABLE BOOT LOGGING...but it didn't read the disc. Suggestions?

Thanks

Jeff in Toronto

If the CD-ROM drive is set to boot first then there is nothing to choose. Just put the disc in the drive and boot. If it doesn't boot the CD then enter BIOS (F2 while the Dell logo is on screen) and change the boot order to place the CD first. All of this is outlined in the owner's manual, available on the Dell website.