[SOLVED] Restoring a failed clone/fixing signature collision

LoserGirl666

Reputable
Oct 14, 2015
I have a drive (not my boot drive) will all my work and data and my Steam games etc on it that has started failing. I bought a new HDD to attempt to clone it which failed. I am also slowly copying what I can off and onto one of my other drives.

However, I would like to make a second attempt to clone the drive as I fixed some errors using various utilities. I cannot do this because even after reformatting the new drive it retained the signature of the failing drive that I attempted to clone and I can't have it online at the same time as the original failing drive without a signature collision keeping the new one offline.

Is there a proper way to reset this drive that will fix the signature collision? I found some way too difficult explanation that wants me to manually preform a ton of registry edits and I am simply not confident enough to do this nor am I willing to spend countless hours editing only for it to fail. Is there a way to fix my new drive easily?

I would like to get this drive up and running regardless of cloning (which I know probably won't work anyway) because I can start rebuilding everything on it while continuing copying out the data from the old drive before it craps out. I've never stuck with a system long enough to have a drive failure so I am new to this, I usually migrate my data after a few years to whatever new PC I build and start over with new drives etc and wipe the old one and hand it down or turn it into a media PC for a family members tv.

I would love a simple (ish) solution if anyone has one.

LoserGirl666

Reputable
Oct 14, 2015
Since there was no data on it and I didn't want to edit the registry or worry about the MBR etc I just quickly cloned another computers drive over it and reformatted it again and it's fine now.

Managed to get my steam library, mods nexus mods downloads backup, my books and photos and half my work before it died. Yes, I prioritized everything over actual important work. 😂 Some of the data is corrupted but I got a lot. Enough to not have to spend 2 years downloading ** on my 1mbps rural internet.